Otofon 2M Red fake or the brand is no longer reliable ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't understand !
You don't need to remove the protector to screw the cartridge on the shell.

https://www.ortofon.com/media/14812/2m-series-userguide.pdf

Ortofon asks for that because he knows the risks to the integrity of the needle without the protector. Then you will have to remove it to align the capsule.
But that's not the problem. Stop defending a product as if you were the owner of the company Ortofón. I have not said anything absolutely so that you feel offended or diminished about the goodness of your cartouches. These are technical contributions, we are not going to discuss sound here, nor your opinions about which ones you like the most.

Look at the drawing about how to extract the needle with just two fingers. (It's supposed to be soft, otherwise we're in trouble) Figure 1 Page 6. That's absolutely impossible.

Figure 5 on page 10 does not show the cantilever fixing. There the artifact fails and it is where I mentioned that they have fixed it with glue in other models, they should also do it in 2MRed in the factory to all the cartridges that leave the production line. I do not risk risking more than I have done this regrettable product taking a macro photo for you to believe me. There you. Be happy, friend.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
T
You are not sure of my disagreement? Well, if you take the trouble to read all the thread, you may understand why my critics and many other users of Ortofon 2 M Red, so everything has its foundation. But it is not important that you understand it, but that all those who have already visited this thread are aware.

In your first post you say
I would like to know what they think.
. Clearly your are not. You are just wanting to act bitter and angry. I can only assume you thought you were saving a few pounds by not ordering from a local authorised dealer and didn't read the small print on the needle doctors site so are now venting your frustration by trying to claim a wholesale collapse of ortofon quality. Given the number of happy 2M users around I cannot see that being the case.

Clearly you have no interest in experience and opinions that doesn't jive with your own. You seem dead set on bad mouthing them about a product that should be returned as defective. As a defective return you can claim both import tax and duty back at the time of re-export, or likely ask to offset it against the replacement to be supplied when that is returned.

The simple truth is that Ortofon have a stellar reputation for quality. In over 30 years I've only ever heard of a handful of cartridges fail in the field, and generally they've been replaced.

No one disbelieves your assessment of the cart, we just don't understand why you wouldn't return it. needle doctor have a reputation to upkeep like any other business, customer opinion is their lifeblood. Speak to them, send it back, wait for a replacement. if that doesn't happen then people will support you in calling them out on product and service.

Take a breath, consider your options and do as everyone on this thread suggests. We can't all be wrong.

Figure 5 on page 10 does not show the cantilever fixing. There the artifact fails and it is where I mentioned that they have fixed it with glue in other models, they should also do it in 2MRed in the factory to all the cartridges that leave the production line...

Cantilever shouln't be held with glue, but with a rubber suspension.
Don't put any glue here it will not work anymore.

By the way I don't defend Ortofon, I'm just saying I never had your kind of problems with 5 ou 6 Ortofon's cartridges I bought in the past.

Don't forget that if you can read one or two bad comments about Ortofon on the net, you don't know the context of their complain and don't make it a general complain.

And before accusing Ortofon you should contact your retailer as said many times by everybody here. On a legal point of view, only the retailer have a deal with you, not Ortofon.

I can understand how desappointed you can be with a product, but please don't blame the whole earth.

Bye Bye
Jacques

Cantilever shouln't be held with glue, but with a rubber suspension.
Don't put any glue here it will not work anymore.

:confused::confused:

Hyperman75, you think lightly giving samples of your ignorance. This capusula does not bring cushioning of the cantilever mounted on rubber, but on a cantilever of solid and elastic metal. Write to Ortofon to send you the drawing about what the anchor is like, and so you convince yourself (if they answer you) you are tremendously wrong and outdated. Please inform.
The glue that Ortofon has put in a repair (I will not waste my time here to find that thread that I have read in another forum) and place it on the cantilever heel so as not to affect its movement inside the magnetic field of the polar pieces. .Only so that it does not move longitudinally, ok? It is understood, should I repeat it one more time?
Needle doctor does not answer directly to buyers, but through third-party websites, I did it on Facebook and there was no response.
Ortofon did not worry about knowing where to buy the product or its serial number. It only made me guilty that the protector fell because I did not wear it. Still nobody celebrates the joke? Ohhh, who are the bitter here?
About the meaningless comment and hurtful intentions that I wanted to save money. Here is the picture of everything you buy, you must add a 50% customs surcharge in my country.
I do not see any obligation to acquire the cartridge from the representative here, take advantage of the trip and buy it in the USA, thinking that the specialized reviews of so many reviewers were honest. Those descriptive comments of L.O. when he worked in P.F ! My acknowledgments to him for his courage and sincerity. No one talks about the shortcomings that I mention, which are not a small thing, just comment that the price sounds great!
Will they have their gift cartridge? The red model surely not.
I only buy it for very from time to time to listen to those black and round objects of the past.
Now, if you want personal opinions about sound, here are some of the best ones I've used:
Shure was always characterized by rubbery bass, pulling a boomy. Even the models that were top of line, the 3 above all ..

Stanton 881 S was very linear, bass not booming and flaccid as Shure Type III and IV were. Very superior . Ortofón 2 M Red passes the cloth and polishes it!
But, I repeat, everything is a thing of the past.
Luckily I invested my money in a DAC and streaming ability. Almost I commit the foolishness of continuing to believe foolish and crazy in "the superiority of the vinyl because it is analog and the bits are cold" and I was about to buy the classic Denon MC, DL103 .....
Good luck in finding your nirvanas, I am very satisfied and happy, and I am using a vintage JBL as subwofer despite so many negative reviews about it!

Denon DL103 R with tonearm MicroSeiki MA-707, good match ? - Vinyl Engine

Regards

Attachments

• C0mpras USA.jpg
    C0mpras USA.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Stylus is the whole removable red plastic assembly, including cantilever in Ortofon terminology. It should not be held in place by glueing, because it could be replaced when the actual stylus (diamond tip) or cantilever is worn or damaged. It is better if snug fit in the pickup body than loose fit. Normally you never take it out unless you need to replace it. What about the sound of the cartridge? Does it bring the usual Ortofon quality?

The 2m black guard is notorious for snapping as soon as you touch it!!
The answer is to buy a replacement RED guard which is made of a different plastic and is a little more durable..

Ohhh, God, :) finally someone adds to the criticis of my part to the sacred cow of India. .....:(
Very thanks fot this ! ;)
The plastic of the 2M network that I received tolerated some bending. Obviously it would break if it were demast, but it is not necessary. Because the little eyelash that is supposed to be stuck, does not. Pessimistic design, the guard comes down like the booty of a bitch ....:D

Stylus is the whole removable red plastic assembly, including cantilever in Ortofon terminology. It should not be held in place by glueing, because it could be replaced when the actual stylus (diamond tip) or cantilever is worn or damaged. It is better if snug fit in the pickup body than loose fit. Normally you never take it out unless you need to replace it. What about the sound of the cartridge? Does it bring the usual Ortofon quality?

But who said that you have to paste the whole that penetrates the body?
:eek:

I mean inside, you can see how the cantilever is anchored with a plastic piece that evidently does not have enough pressure to keep it firmly in place. I repeat that this spawn will not touch more than tolerances because it is very likely that something will break. All this capsule is coarse, very coarse, it seems manufactured by Pedro Picapiedras and also with the cave in low light.
I think this is becoming a Tower of Babel. Many languages translated with San Google......:cool:

I already talked about the sound. I agree with the reviewers, for that money you can not ask for too much more. It is the lowest model of the line, let's not forget it.

Last edited:
I see that the problem of the guard also had the blue model ... and the PF article is from the year 2008.

ortofon 2m blue

" .......two, the removable stylus guard is awkward to use. The release is at the very back of the cartridge and it comes off at an awkward angle, and affixing it after the cartridge is mounted requires a deft touch to avoid snuffing the cantilever. I didn't use it."

How is it possible that in almost ten years this has not been corrected ? Needle Doctor has sold me an NOS ( New Old Stock ) item ...? Well, they knew that the sale was made in the USA, but for a passing buyer from a very distant country ...

There is a saying that says:

" Everywhere beans are cooked "
:D

Ohhhhh, I can not be so badly thought of ..... I'll try to push these dark thoughts away from me ...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ortofon has not changed the design in that length of time as far as I know.

Needle Doctor is considered highly reputable here, many of my friends have bought from them. (I haven't since there is a local Ortofon dealer who will match or better their price) I haven't heard the sort of allegations you are making about them or the product.

I have a couple of friends in Argentina and I have experienced the hassle of sending things there so I know at least part of the reason why you are upset.

Technically purchasing a cartridge here in the U.S. and shipping it to Argentina probably makes it a gray market cartridge from Ortofon's point of view and they typically void the warranty in such cases. (This would be true if they have a distributor in Argentina) Your best course of action would be to send it back to Needle Doctor if that is possible (I know it is not that practical).

I wish you luck in resolving this issue. Possibly buying a replacement stylus from the local authorized dealer/distributor is the least painful if not cheapest or fairest resolution.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! Good luck!

Hi Kevinkr :

Thanks for crossing your fingers !

A Customs telegram has arrived announcing that the capsule is in its possession and will be delivered to my home, upon payment of the corresponding tariffs.

Yesterday I paid the same, so now to wait for the stamp of the postal worker ...

I hope the guard does not fall...;)

Only then can I thank the respective parties involved in this complaint.

My first cartridge was a M2 Bronze, That was only 5 years ago the guard is lost somehow, broke, I don't need it, played the cartridge around 100 hours, then upgraded to a Japanese one.

Well, I do not share the vision of "I do not need it" In real life almost always needles break down when they are hooked with a cleaning cloth, etc.
It happened to me twice, and with models of high-end cartridges.
So the best thing is to prohibit access to the turntable, or extract the complete head and hide it.
Not very practical, by the way. I prefer the classic protector, something simple and effective.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.