• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Oscilloscope - Which one should I get ? What to look for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was lucky to pick up a Tektronix 2246 for $300 a year ago at a ham fest. One nice feature is the automation of measurments. Either use cursors to measure amplitude, frequency, phase, or it has a autoranging AC/DC Voltmeter. When I was able to use this kind of rig instead of counting gradicule lines and "eyeballing" it, life became much easier.
http://www.bizitestequipment.com/photos-ebay/2246_Large.jpg

I have several Tek T900 series 'scopes (T921, 922, 932, 935, 912) and as I have repaired many of this model in the past, I don't expect I will EVER be without a working one... They have flimsy controls and a plastic case, but work very well. I've paid $40 or less (a parts unit, no trace, was free.). They were the last low-end Tek scopes with a really bright sharp trace - the switching supplies in the 2215 created too much noise, though it's a good 'scope otherwise. The Tek 400 series was the last that had no Tek specific ICs - later ones may NOT have replacement parts available except from similar units (I remember repairing a 453 that had a bad transistor - it was a 2N1613, a common general-purpose transistor). Tek probes have been found for $10 or less at hamfests... you can buy a pair of Chinese ones for $30 that will last until hamfest season...

Last edited:
There is an issue with beam spot focus size on the screen for 100 MHz and above analog scopes, if you want to really see the detail in audio signals. These CRTs use a mesh grid in the electron beam path that prevents as sharp a focus as lower freq. scope CRTs. This is to some extent compensated for if the CRT has a large screen area.

I am. How else do you think a person without boatloads o' money (for instance, me) could get such a bargain?

Qatar may have the highest per capita GDP on earth, but I can assure you they don't have nearly as many hamfests (amateur radio swap meets) as we do here. WWII surplus electronics suitable for audio use is still pretty much available here, at

My admiration was aimed at those folks who are able to repurpose other devices for their own use, and those in other countries who turn out incredible projects despite not having easy access to basic tools or supplies. These are the people who put their minds to a project instead of throwing money at it.

Most of my equipment came from hamfests, auctions, and Ebay. I don't think I would buy a scope from Ebay since you don't really know what you are going to get. My Tek 2232 came from an employee auction at work. It was $100 and did not work. I tested it before purchase and it would not power up. Upon arrival at my house it worked. Sometimes it won't turn on and a good whack gets it started. Sooner or later it is going to die, but I have been using it this way for about 10 years.

Avoid the older HP scopes. Especially the 17XX series. The sweep speed switch shaft goes through all of the circuit boards and the switch itself is made of fingers that touch plating on the board. In humid environments the switches are intermittent at best and changing a component on the board requires major dissasembly. Of course a working one for cheap might be worth the risk. Mine worked for several years.

I would say to check out the hamfests, swap meets and even Craigs list for something that you can see work. The specs don't matter too much, and any scope is far better than no scope....if it works.

Scopes aren't much use in audio......yeah right. I use mine every time I am working on an amp. 90% of the time I use a scope, a few $5 digital meters and an audio oscillator. Thats all. A CD player with a test tone CD can be a very good audio oscillator, and Harbor Freight has meters for $5. The scope is the only expensive tool you need to fix stuff. For building stuff, a HV power supply or 2 or 3 helps a lot. The older tube based ones are easy to fix, so buy a dead one on Ebay for $25.

The lowest price I saw on the Tek site is the TDS-1001b at $935. If you have the bucks....

I purchased a brand new TDS2012B (100 MHz 2-channel) last October 2010. Since I live in the Philippines there is none to buy used Tek analog scope that is why I decided to go for a digital scope (my first scope). 100 MHz is too high for audio amps even for class D (500 kHz typical switching frequency) but high bandwidth is beneficial when checking for oscillations. Although audio transistors operate in the kHz range sometimes they oscillate in the MHz spectrum :(

My Hitachi V-425 40mhz is still going strong since the day I got it in 1985 with no major issue's.
I have only taken the covers of two times since then to inspect and clean it.
I have even left on 24/7 for a couple of months a few times and no burn spots or etching to the phosphorous and still goes super bright.

My only regret is that I wish I had gotten the 60mhz version with a delayed time base.
But that is not scopes fault as I have been able to use it to 100mhz a few times.
The trigger sensitivity could be a little better though ,probably could be modded but haven't taken the time to try and I can live with it the way it is.

The on screen measuring system is great but the steps could finer ,but it is 80's technology and back then it was really something.

The thing can still be had refurbished for about $600 last time I checked and I paid $986 for it new. jer

Hi all, I am also looking to replace my old scope, it is an 20MHz, dual trace Beckman Industrial. What I have found to my annoyance is that both probes are grounded to the same common ground and this messes up a number of measurements I am trying to make. It was suggested to me that I use the two probes and then set the scope to do "add" but there is no such function, so it is impossible to measure a floating voltage. Also it would be nice if it would show me the frequency and the V rms on the fly as well as I rms maybe. My bench multimeter does not show good RMS over a certain (low) frequency so I rely on the scope or on a temporary rectifier I have built (which is not accurate).

So is there any advice on what I am looking for on a scope ? :)

update: there is an "add" function on my scope, I just discovered, and it works, I think. Still I would like each probe to be completely earth free so that I can monitor different, floating voltages.

I have never seen scopes with fully floating inputs (ie no ground referral).

A dual channel with Add and one channel Invert will do differential, but gain and probe compensation have to be carefully trimmed. CMRR is limited.

Tek scopes with plugins can use dedicated diff amps with huge CMRR, equivalent to 10,000:1

In addition, the scope mains ground can be isolated from mains earth using a 1:1 mains transformer. Usual safety warnings apply.

I have three scopes and i use them all. Have a tek2213 60mhz dual channel, a hp 1223a analog storage oscilloscope and a rigol ds1102e dso scope. The rigol was dropped in price to 399 and can do 100mhz. I like the cleanliness of the analog traces but like a lot the convinience of the automatic measurements and options on the rigol.

I bought my Tek 2215 on ePay 4 years ago for $135. It was checked out and guaranteed by the vendor who deals in used test equipment. I had to buy probes and manual separately, but all I was really concerned with was that the 'scope was guaranteed by the vendor. I would say that if you buy a 'scope on ePay, buy from a reputable dealer; choose a model that fits your needs and budget, and take your time and wait for a nice clean one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.