Oscilloscope Repair and Calibration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have recnetly acquired a Tektronix 2246 Mod A from eBay.

The exterior is in great shape, all knobs and buttons function with none missing.

Ran it through it's self test and it passed all, so did it again and then it failed the volt test. Says " turn on and off again failed volt calibration test. Check or replace internal battery.

Well I opened it up and the battery is a Panasonic lithium BR-2/3 A
3volt. It is putting out 1.308 volts on a fluke 189 dmm.

I ordered the battery from Digi-Key and think I might be able to replace it myself. Any advice here?

Also, thinking it would be nice to get it calibrated, but where? and what is the normal cost for this?

I live in California USA. I do not know if I trust some of these used sellers/calibraters.

Appreciate any help with this.

Frank, Jack,

Thank you for the information. I think I have found a lab in San Diego, CA. They say:

"Repair is $65/hour +parts. If it is just the battery, then an hour
should do it. If there are problems beyond the battery, we will
submit a quote.

NIST traceable, Z540 calibration is $189 and includes before
and after data, sticker, and certificate."

Would be nice to have a calibrated scope, one that the information can be trusted, hmm?

Thanks guys.

That's a fine scope

Hi Paul,

I used to sell 2246's many years ago. That's a fine scope. And for two hundred bucks in repair money, you can't go wrong. But don't spend much more than that until you know how good the tube is. Crank out the timebase, feed in a signal you recognize, and look for blooming, fading, lack of focus, or burned-in images. No amount of calibration will fix those things, unless you can get a new tube somewhere.

Have fun with the scope. And remind me - what was "Mod A"? Some kind of Trigger Out?

Cheers, BC :drink:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.