Oscilloscope for a beginner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Visual Analyzer, It is Free !!! ;) ...
Cheers!!
jer :)

Hi Jer thank you very much indeed !
This evening i will try for sure to install the program.
Do you think that the quality of the sound card matters ?
I have a very cheap but also very hand one ... it takes the power from the usb cable.
No need of a separate PS.
This one here ...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks a lot again. Regards, gino

Yes to a certain extent, better is always better of course!! ;)

But, I have yet to get the software to run in 24bit mode with any of my sound cards that are capable of such.

Nevertheless it works in 16bit mode with all of my sound cards and motherboard systems just great!

At this time it still does not display any data from my card when it is in 24bit mode although it does show the noise floor results or something as it is running.

However some motherboard systems can be glitchy or even noisy, as my ASROCK 990FX Extreme 4 is quite glitchy at random times.
Sometimes it works flawlessly.

It is always best to use an add on type sound card if it is possible.

I don't have any USB types of interfaces as of yet, but I do have the PCM2902 that is used any the original specified interface that this was designed around.

Once I get one working I will see about getting a 24bit CODEC to work with it, if it can do it.

And I am hoping that I will be able to measure DC voltages as well using the PCM2902 and a DC frontend, we shall see.
As most any sound card interface will only allow you to measure AC signals.

I would think that the Behringer unit you posted should work just fine.

Yes to a certain extent, better is always better of course!! ;)
But, I have yet to get the software to run in 24bit mode with any of my sound cards that are capable of such.
Nevertheless it works in 16bit mode with all of my sound cards and motherboard systems just great!
At this time it still does not display any data from my card when it is in 24bit mode although it does show the noise floor results or something as it is running.
However some motherboard systems can be glitchy or even noisy, as my ASROCK 990FX Extreme 4 is quite glitchy at random times. Sometimes it works flawlessly.

Hi Jer and thanks again. 16bit mode would be more than fine for me ... i do not need big precision.

It is always best to use an add on type sound card if it is possible.
I don't have any USB types of interfaces as of yet, but I do have the PCM2902 that is used any the original specified interface that this was designed around.
Once I get one working I will see about getting a 24bit CODEC to work with it, if it can do it.
And I am hoping that I will be able to measure DC voltages as well using the PCM2902 and a DC frontend, we shall see.

There are usb card very very cheap ... and also very small.
I can recommend the one depicted as one of the cheapest around ... and sounds also quite good
It is completely autoinstalling ... in the meantime i bought other two ... as spare parts.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=behringer+uca+202&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

As most any sound card interface will only allow you to measure AC signals.
I would think that the Behringer unit you posted should work just fine.

I am interested only on AC signals ... in particular noise from PS.
I think that one important condition for great sound is low noise.
I did some test on a small line preamp prototype. For its design had a low PSRR so all the noise present in the power supply mixed with the output signal and got amplified.
I was shocked how different was the sound changing power supply construction.
My goal is to see this on a scope, without disturbing anyone around.
One that the noise is very down in the scope i will be done ... i will be sure that noise will be not in the music.
And there will be only music ... plus the noise in the recording of course.
Thanks a lot again. kindest regards, gino

Last edited:
Since you are going with the 6022BE, check this thread at EEVBlog.
A user RichardK has rewritten the software to make it much more useful and add features. You will have to look back at least a few pages for his most recent beta version, there should be a new one soon

Hi and thanks a lot for the valuable suggestion.
Yes i bought one as a first step. I have not received it yet.
Do you know the unit ? what do you think of it ?
I am curious. I will put in in comparison with the scope SW above mentioned.
Thanks again, gino

Hi and thanks a lot for the valuable suggestion.
Yes i bought one as a first step. I have not received it yet.
Do you know the unit ? what do you think of it ?
I am curious. I will put in in comparison with the scope SW above mentioned.
Thanks again, gino

I know OF the unit and have followed the discussion thread quite a bit. With the RichardK software, its not a bad little device. It is very limited in functionality in comparison to a full scope but for 95+% of audio type situations it should be usable. The biggest limits are its sample rate and input voltage range. With 10x probes it has an limit of +/-50V peak to peak. I forgot to mention, also in that thread, a gentleman named Matchless has written a real full-fledged user manual. The type of manual test equipment USED to come with. It includes everything you could want to know about the device .

Here is the pdf version:
https://jumpshare.com/v/CHwuia3hR33POgbEGkIt

In comparison to a soundcard scope. Very different beasts. Soundcards have very limited sample rates and very limited frequency ranges. On top of this, they are not designed for scope use. That being said, they typically have pretty good noise floors. In general, these are a significant step-up from a soundcard based scope but its not a full featured scope with full triggering and other features.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.