Orion 2250sx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Spoke too soon . As soon as I applied audio the transformers hissed and the powersupply failed. The voltage across the red and black wires feeding the audio 102volts for each side. Voltage at the zeners is 52volts. Does this seem to be too high. Kinda don't under stand why this happened unless the rail voltage is too high. Any thoughts perry

52v is about what I remembered the voltage to be. It should be very near the voltage rating of the two series connected zeners.

High rail voltage isn't going to cause the power supply FETs to fail.

When you say that the power supply failed, do you mean that all of the power supply FETs shorted/burned?

Were they clamped to the heatsink?

I don't know why the two NPN drivers don't match. I never measured the NPN collector to ground but I'd expect them to match. Maybe it's normal if you don't see any problems in that area.

Did the RCA to B+ resistance increase significantly after replacing the shorted FET?

Decrease the 12v supply voltage as low as possible without the amp's supply shutting down. Do you have a clean square wave for all PS FET gate legs?

There was 4 tantalum caps that were shorted. 2 near optocoupler and 2 near the tl494 ic. I didn't have 2uF versions so I replaced them with 0.1uF tantalum caps. Could this affect RC constant or timing of part of the circuit? Not sure I basically installed them to get the unit to power up. I am ordering parts today.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.