Orange drop polypropylene capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2011
There are also quite a difference between different "orange drops"--some are polyester,
some are polypropylene, some have copper leads. The term "orange drop" is copyrighted
by Cornell-Dublier. Hmmm......

Most capacitor companies use a variety of dielectrics, certainly WIMA does.
http://www.wima.com/EN/products.htm

Sprague coined the name "orange drop" in the 1930s, and then SBE, and later on CDE,
acquired it. These have long been widely used industrial parts, not an "audio" product.
http://s221.photobucket.com/user/JohnandSandy/media/Windsor/IMG_1049_zps918325f2.jpg.html

Last edited:
For SMPS applications, I briefly looked at 715P/716P caps when I couldn't find anything else for high di/dt (read ripple current) ratings for a resonant half-bridge project. The coating is an epoxy dip, and comes off nicely when you apply moderate carnage with a hammer. What is revealed is a classic extended film/foil construction with leads welded to the extended end foils - old, space-hogging, but effective construction.
The apple of my eye these days are caps from Epcos that manage to pack a very useful ripple current rating in a small package size. I'd be willing to bet that cap improvements that enhance ripple current rating might also have sonic benefits.

Wrenchy,

So close, but the actual issue may be that orange drops are wound but the Wima's are stacked plate capacitors. That makes a difference in vibration sensitivity. With a DC voltage across it the orange drop will see vibrations 360 x 15 degrees or so. The Wima major axis is perpendicular to the large flat side and peak sensitivity will be around 30 x 15 degrees.

In a guitar amplifier where it sits on top of the loudspeaker I would expect the orange drop to warm up the sound by augmenting the low frequencies with harmonics.

Used as coupling and tone control caps in a pedal steel guitar amplifier; 0.01 to 0.33uF, 100v.
You are correct--Antique DOES have better prices on orange drops than Mouser! Curiously, the "better" 716P (copper leads) are LESS expensive than the 715Ps at Mouser.
But the WIMAs are still about 5x less expensive--a 0.1uF PP orange drop is $1.65 at Antique; a WIMA is $0.30 at Mouser.
There are also quite a difference between different "orange drops"--some are polyester, some are polypropylene, some have copper leads. The term "orange drop" is copyrighted by Cornell-Dublier. Hmmm......

I still have some of both in stock so I hadn't priced either in a while. While there is a price difference, neither one is particularly expensive, especially if you only need a few of them.

What kind of amp (brand / model) is this? Isn't 100v awfully low for a coupling cap?? Smallest I've ever seen is 400v, but that's on a tube amp. I know zilch about SS.

Not sure which brands they carry but you can save some money on shipping by ordering from Digi-Key. They ship free if you order by mail (not online) and pay with either a personal check or money order.

I think Simon hit the nail on the head. The same can be true for the ceramic caps in the combo amps. I tried Wima and silver mica in a combo amp I built and maybe it was in my head but it didn't have the same mojo. I went back to Carbon Comp plate load resistors, orange drop caps and ceramic caps and the warmth is back. Some things for hifi aren't good in the land of guitar.

the actual issue may be that orange drops are wound but the Wima's are stacked plate capacitors. That makes a difference in vibration sensitivity. With a DC voltage across it the orange drop will see vibrations 360 x 15 degrees or so. The Wima major axis is perpendicular to the large flat side and peak sensitivity will be around 30 x 15 degrees. In a guitar amplifier where it sits on top of the loudspeaker I would expect the orange drop to warm up the sound by augmenting the low frequencies with harmonics.
That's the BEST explanation of audible capacitor differences I've ever seen. I wonder if it is somehow measureable.

This has nothing to do if stacked or wound.

It shows the çonstruction. The film is each half metalized and the insulated plate between them increases the coupling. It also shows how a metalization end is used for lead out. That is a stacked construction.

But you certainly can take one apart.

A wound capacitor is round. An obround capacitor is a round one that has been pressed flat. It has a top and bottom radius.

Now if you have any actual data to support your position please show it.

As I said, it's all application dependent. Like most components, capacitors have non-ideal behaviours. These vary significantly across capacitor types.

Two examples of different sorts of measurable flaws and an analysis of a third
Bob Pease What's all this soakage stuff (1998)
John Curl & Walt Jung A real time test for capacitor quality (1985)
Menno van der Veen; & Hans R.E. van Maanen Non-linear distortions in capacitors (2008)

Whether they matter in your application is another thing.
Just questioned the witnesses you called to help your point of view .... meaning I actually *read* them, instead of just "dropping names" in the hopes to impress "the enemy".
Just the first one doesn´t help you very much , since he states things like:
1) he describes an old experiment actually showing measurable flaws .... then he states:
But many good capacitor materials such as polystyrene were 100 times better than that.
Wow!!!!
2) Describes how a polyester capacitor can be modeled as a perfect main cap same value plus a couple *very* small caps (0.03% of main value) in series with very large resistors 820 kiloMegohms to 3.5 Mega Megohms :eek:
How can anybody think such "deviations" can have *any* influence at Audio Frequencies is WAY beyond me.
That such infinitesimal deviations/errors can be measured in a Lab is irrelevant here, FWIW we can measure the temperature of an invisible planet orbiting around a Star more than 4 light years away ... so what?
The relevant text snippet is:
Dow, in the IRE Transactions on Electronic Computers (analog computers, in those days, of course), March 1958, pp. 17-22, measured the soakage of the best capacitors of the day—polystyrene. His data resulted from measuring the current flowing out of a capacitor after it had been charged for a long time, and discharged for a short time. His model of the soakage showed that a basic 1-µF polystyrene capacitor might appear to have a series RC network across it, such as 140 pF in series with 3.5 Mega Megohms (MM‡), a 200 pF in series with 250 kiloMegohms (kM), a 270 pF in series with 20 kM, a 190 pF in series with 3 kM, and another of 120 pF in series with 330 M
3) not surprisingly, he goes as far as stating
Can you hear the advantage of low-soakage capacitors in your hi-fi amplifier? Lots of experts say "yes"...those golden-ears again. If an amplifier is "capped" by taking all electrolytic capacitors out of the signal path, and replacing them with good film capacitors, it has to sound better. All the experts say it sounds better.

Tom Nousaine (who did ABX testing on speaker cables) says the golden-ears cannot hear a difference, in truly blind tests. I believe him.
With such a smashing demitification, no need to go further, what for?

EDIT: on a different but related point:
A blind test presupposes a knowledge of what we can and cannot hear.
Wrong definition.

A blind test "presupposes nothing".
Quite the contrary, is made "blind" precisely to avoid prejudging, it´s carried away and *results* (which come post test, not before it) confirm or deny whether some difference can reliably be heard or not.

To answer you literally: we do not know what can or cannot be heard until after test is finished.

And results can surprise or contradict the experimenter carrying it on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.