Options for paper coaxial with soft dome tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I meant Tannoy, Scott, not KEF. Speaker Exchange won't sell raw KEF drivers to DIYers anymore. (I may have scored the last pair... muahahahahaha! Anyway, quality control seems to be an issue with KEF drivers. One of the two drivers they sent had a badly damaged cone. The replacement that arrived has a gap between the woofer cone and the start of the waveguide :()

You searched for tannoy | Speaker ExchangeSpeaker Exchange

I meant Tannoy, Scott, not KEF. Speaker Exchange won't sell raw KEF drivers to DIYers anymore. (I may have scored the last pair... muahahahahaha! Anyway, quality control seems to be an issue with KEF drivers. One of the two drivers they sent had a badly damaged cone. The replacement that arrived has a gap between the woofer cone and the start of the waveguide :()

You searched for tannoy | Speaker ExchangeSpeaker Exchange

Oh.. sorry. :eek:

-but good on you! :D

(..bummer about the QC though.) :( Maybe more of a shipping/packaging issue than line control in manufacturing? :confused:

Of course a search on the q100 will pull up a listing for the speaker as low as 400 a pair:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kef...&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=kef+q100&tbm=shop

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I doubt packaging/shipping could've caused the damage to the cone. The whole assembly is so delicate and precise that it must be a bitch to manufacture and assemble correctly.

Anyway, the Q100 is the perfect alternative, and probably a better one too. You already get a box and the driver. All you need to do is improve the crossover. Add a sub and you're done. Would be a nice, linear, point-source system. Might not play very loud.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.