Options for 3 inch driver for near field monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sreten, yes, the JXR6 drivers are pretty decent, they resolve lots of detail but also a little hot on the treble and without a spider the voicecoil sometimes rubs.

When you say computer software, do you mean look at optimising the source not the speakers? I use an EMU0404 modded with a tripath amp with analogue active crossover to a sealed peerless sub with a linkwitz transform. Source software Foobar2000 on Windows7

Hi,

I was thinking along the lines of some plug-in and a microphone that
allowed you to correct the FR driver somewhat, but its not my field.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

Anyone fancying dabbling with 3" drivers could do a lot worse
than the 8ohm NS3's on sale at madisound fitted with the
BSC / response filters detailed on Zaph's archive page.

If run full range it seems around 200uF in series also helps.

Quire possibly with +/-5mm linear Xmax, the best 3" for bass.

rgds, sreten.

Attachments

• AuraNS3-193.gif
    AuraNS3-193.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 305
OK, so basically my JXR6's are still considered SoA as far as full range small drivers are concerned? So I'm better off tweaking my current configuration rather than starting from scratch with new drivers.

There are supposedly new versions of the JXR6 coming out from Jordan in the next 6 months. EAD have their own implementation (E60) which has a few tweaks but I'm not sure if there is a significant sound difference. Maybe I'll wait for the new Jordans....

I've just ordered a pair of the Vifa TC9FD18-08 for the same purpose following some favourable comments in another thread. Was thinking of running them sealed crossed over to a sub.

Zaph has just measured them on his site: Zaph|Audio and the price seems very reasonable.

Here are some plans for a small br enclosure for the vifa tc9.
All text in swedish.

http://www.lts.a.se/pub/artiklar/mupps/Molt_1_2008_Mupps.pdf

Popular here in sweden and sounds very good in small room.
I liked them very much. Hard to beat for the little you have to spend on making them!
Some use it with the TG9 aswell, seems to work ok (never heard that combo).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.