Optimal throat size = 0.5 or 0.7 Sd ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Luckily, you've got Martin, Ron & Greg assisting, & they'll guide you in the right direction. The combined knowledge / expertise there is downright astonishing

Not really. (speaking for myself ) we are basically guys (older dudes)who made mistakes in the past. Maybe we learned from the mistakes so we progressed.
If you dont learn from a failed attempt then you havent learned anything. Thomas Edison was once asked how many tries he had at developing the light bulb , he answered 2001, but he added" i knew there was 2000 methods that did not work".

ron

Aha! I wondered if Ron would pop up as well! Good to see you back again Ron -hope work is getting a bit less hectic? Did you get my email re that info. on the steel we were discussing?

Work NEVER gets less hectic.

The re-establishment of the steel industry in America is a truly intensive effort. I truly believe we will once again be a major competitor in the world market.

On the Curvy Chang: Once you realize the basic BR actions and include the slight wave expansion the curved mouth gives you a focused effect, the effect has to be balanced to the baffle action and finally to the actual driver, all this provides for a "center focus" of the applied energys. The curve is a best balance of the energys.

ron

Due to the impedence mis-match at the mouth in the lower frequencies, you get a supersonic shockwave (standing wave) that's reflected back from the mouth along the horn path. Hence the ripple in the response of most domestic hybrid horns

Thats where you have to be aware of the energys that are present along the "trip". You can dampen the energys sent back by application of proper higher energys at a given point to provide for a more balanced condition. Its still pressure at a given point in space and time.
All i do is to attempt the balance the pressure/wavefronts for as many conditions as i can concieve. If i miss some conditions or cannot find a balance i just attempt to find the best overall that will provide an acceptable response.
You have to think in 4 dimensional terms.

ron

I have been reading Dr. Leach's paper and have difficulty with the concept of angular cutoff frequency.

Why do we have to use the angular cutoff frequency and what will be the effect in the final design ?
In most of the other formulas, I have been using the cutoff frequencies, Fl, Fh, Fc.

If I undestand properly, Leach suggest we have to use 2πFl, 2πFh, 2πFc to calculate the horn parameters.
Does this apply only to folded horns ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.