• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Optical Volume Control Professional PCB

Which soldermask colour do you prefer for future PCB´s?

• red

Votes: 66 13.3%
  • green

Votes: 118 23.8%
  • yellow

Votes: 54 10.9%
  • black

Votes: 97 19.6%
  • white

Votes: 52 10.5%
  • blue

Votes: 108 21.8%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
the averaging will make for better stereo image balance. But I have no idea how many devices would be needed to achieve adequate balance over the whole range of attenuation.

But before you go any further, consider the following.

Assume the max LDR resistance is 30k.
Assume the min LDR resistance is 40r.

The max attenuation with
one pair is 20*log[40r / 30k04] ~-57.5dB
two pair is 20*log[20r/60k02] ~-69.5dB
10pair is 20*log[4r/300k004] ~-97.5dB
The minimum attenuation with control at max volume is
one pair is 20*log[30k/30k04] ~-0.01dB
two pair is 20*log[15k/15k08] ~-0.05dB
10pair is 20*log[3k/3k4] ~-1.1dB.
That voltage loss of -1.1dB is not a real listening problem.
Go and look at the effect all this paralleling/serialing has on input and output impedance. It becomes a monster that needs tamed.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver
Can you publish a scheme pointing how to bypass LM7805.
I'm wondering about feeding the LDR's using MiniGold Reg.
As my knowledge is weak I don't know how to proceed...
Thanks for your help

That´s simple!

1. remove the 7805 and the three caps from the board
2. insert a bridge between the outer solder points from the 7805

After that, you could feed +5VDC from any other external reg. to the pcb.

Best,
Oliver

Hi guys

has anyone improved the attenuation.

in its loudest setting i have the same ouput as the input (3vpk-pk). At it's lowest setting i have about 20mV. Is it ok to lower the 100ohm resistors (increase the current through the LED and lower the LDR resistance nearer to zero) to improve this ?

Hi,
measure the current through the 100r resistors.
The maximum LED current is 25mA (Vr=2.50Vdc), but I suspect if left at this maximum value for a longer time will increase the risk of failure.
This may get you down to 30 to 35ohms for the LDR and achieve an extra 1dB of attenuation.
Is it worth taking the risk?
What is the minimum current through the LEDs? It may be that the series LDR is not getting to a high enough resistance due to using a pot that does not have sufficient resistance.
What is the excess gain through your system?

In my opinion it prompts the question; why use the the Optical Volume Control..... It's not ideal for high gain systems as i have discovered.

The OVC/LS/or other LS-based designs used with high gain systems, you will find that at its lowest possible volume position it might still be loud and will eventually burn out the LEDs if kept there...otherwise it sounds great. Using the OVC, at what volume position do you usually listen? If you do find it too loud just above minimum then it is a problem (on a romantic evening) of too much system gain.

In this regard, I find the LS design flawed...:judge:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.