Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I haven't touched the '205 and the work I have done on the '203 has turned out amazing. More 203s have been sold that 205, so even when they run out new, there are hopefully plenty floating around 2nd hand for years to come.

Indeed.
Actually, it become more worthy now investing in upgrading a such (old) Oppo device, knowing it have a good hardware potential for quality, and are not any other new models to come on marked...
However, the news is bad. It looks like Oppo it may be the first important victim of the trade war...

I also received this reply from Oppo this week:

“We will not be liquidating the remaining products as we anticipating that we will be able to sell out of all remaining stock, and the stock which we can't sell, can always be used for parts for replacing and repairing OPPO products which are in and out of warranty.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc. ”

Indeed that is true. It’s practically impossible to find a new Oppo 205 now.

Best,
Anand.

I just ordered a UDP-203 literally days before the word came out that they were discontinuing production, and now I notice that the UDP-205s are already gone.
I notice now though on their main website they are gathering information to see if there is enough interest to run a final batch of 205s.
I am going to add my name to the list, and try hard to save up some cash for one.

I just finished developing the LPS board for UDP-203.
It is working nicely , perfectly replaced the orig swtching ps.
I use a Nuvotem 35VA onboard trans, opamp + mos reg circuit.
This LPS is suppling a DC12V to the main board only. No power to the DAC board, which I will never use.

How much current does the main board need? (assuming no DAC being powered etc i.e. only using the player as a digital transport only) Still the view that if being used only as a digital transport then the 203 is the way to go?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
My LPM it have included a AC filter cell, which it filter out the HF noises coming through the AC lines (LPM for 205 model it include also a second similar HF block - AC filter cell before the toroïdal transformer for analogue stage). I added also another AC filter (DC blocking), on the power input lines, which is meant to block (filter out) the low voltage DC component existing on and over the usual AC voltage.
A DC voltage component over the AC lines it have negative impact over the transformers parameters (it saturate the core), lowering their efficiency and producing an audible 50/60hz sound (brum) out of the core. The parasitic DC component it can exist randomly or continuous on a local AC network, caused by a wide diversity of devices connected to the AC power.
Enough surprisingly, eliminating the DC component on AC lines, it have a slightly positive impact over the perceived audio signal quality. This I can not explain so far, but for me it was obvious...
The DC blocking filter is useful only it the power supply it use a transformer (of any type). Not to be used a such filter on SMPS.
In the picture hereby, is to be seen my AC filtering approach. Actually it was no more place on PCB for this DC blocking filter, and therefore it is attached on the LPM power input. The IEC with incorporated AC filter it is not necessary in this case. My approach is using the original Oppo mounted IEC, or it can be also used a whatsoever another simple IEC.

Attachments

• DCblockFilter203b.jpg
    DCblockFilter203b.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 387
  • LPM-205f.jpg
    LPM-205f.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
An audible hum in a transformer it can have many causes. Some mechanical, some electrical. If a well realised and compact transformer it produce audible hum randomly or continuous, then the cause it is the presence of a DC component on its input (primary).
The DC blocking filter in case is not purchased as a product. I make it myself (as the whole LPM also...). Well, the black box you see in the picture, that it is purchased...
The current the 203 it use is variable, as how the USB ports are used, and how the optical drive it is in function or not, etc. A 50w transformer it may be enough to cover the current/power needs for this device.

I also received this reply from Oppo this week:

“We will not be liquidating the remaining products as we anticipating that we will be able to sell out of all remaining stock, and the stock which we can't sell, can always be used for parts for replacing and repairing OPPO products which are in and out of warranty.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc. ”

Indeed that is true. It’s practically impossible to find a new Oppo 205 now.

Best,
Anand.
What player will be the alternate or equivalent replacement?

Well, the black box you see in the picture, that it is purchased...

yes that is what I was referencing in my question.

The current the 203 it use is variable, as how the USB ports are used, and how the optical drive it is in function or not, etc. A 50w transformer it may be enough to cover the current/power needs for this device.

I see heyj used a 35VA transformer for his LPS. Presumably the secondaries are wired in series as he only needs +12V and parallel 12V secondaries wouldn't give him much headroom for filtering and regulation post rectification. Pushing the limit and that's a mere 1.5A. The reason I ask is that I have built discrete, super-regulator style LPS before which are c1A capable. If I drop the pre-regulator it is easily 2A capable. So if the 203 only requires a mere 1.5A or less of current then it might be something I could use.

I am, however, a little sceptical of the benefits of an LPS in the 203 when used merely as a digital transport. I have one of Jaehong Lee's LPS in my 103. While it is a very basic IC-based LPS, I could not honestly put hand over heart and say it definitely made any difference whatsoever.

Last edited:
First post here. I understand the power fuse in the Oppo 203 U.S. version is 2A (and know it's soldered). What I don't know for is if it's fast or slow blow. I would have assumed slow blow, like everything else I've come across, but someone thought fast blow, so I figure it's worth checking here where presumably someone(s) will know for sure. Thanks,

Joined 2009
Paid Member
yes that is what I was referencing in my question.

I see heyj used a 35VA transformer for his LPS. Presumably the secondaries are wired in series as he only needs +12V and parallel 12V secondaries wouldn't give him much headroom for filtering and regulation post rectification. Pushing the limit and that's a mere 1.5A. The reason I ask is that I have built discrete, super-regulator style LPS before which are c1A capable. If I drop the pre-regulator it is easily 2A capable. So if the 203 only requires a mere 1.5A or less of current then it might be something I could use.

I am, however, a little sceptical of the benefits of an LPS in the 203 when used merely as a digital transport. I have one of Jaehong Lee's LPS in my 103. While it is a very basic IC-based LPS, I could not honestly put hand over heart and say it definitely made any difference whatsoever.

Well, I have no any part number for that black plastic box. I bought it on Ebay... Good old, China plastic...
BTW, I have to precise that I didn`t attached the DC filter because the R core transformer in my LPM it may produce hum, or so. For quite low power transformers, this hum is not important even thought the presence of a DC levels on AC lines. This DC filter it just make the things better, and I use it now on all my transformer powered devices. It is better, I can only say...

A 35W transformer for 203 it is quite at limit, in my opinion. One may have some power reserve just in case the AC voltage it fluctuate, to ensure a good regulation... So, a 50w it will be just fine in my appreciation.

This is exactly the clue: using a linear PSU to power a digital system. The overall improvement is very important, even thought the device is used for its digital stage only. As usual a digital system require quite much power, and in some cases there is not possible using linear power (a computer, f. ex.). Today technologies have fortunately reduced the power needs for a digital processing, so the linear power it become abordable for this use. Oppo device it have a relative low power digital system, so these can very well be powered by analogue PSUs. This is the ideal power approach, as it it lower the overall high level HF noises, particular and normal for a digital system. A SMPS it add more noises, but is more power efficient (no heat generation), and most important for mass produced consumer devices, is very cheap. The difference is there, when using a linear PSU, important and obvious, improving the overall processing quality.
I was long time the same sceptical about the reasons of using such way of powering a digital processing system. Until I try it...

Last edited: