Opinions wanted... 7" Seas vs 7" Dayton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scan Speak cost about the same and are of excellent quality as well.

It depends what ranges from SS you are talking about.

If you're comparing 5-8" drivers and the discovery vs SBs standard range then the SBs are the better drivers.

If you're comparing the 7" Revelator/Illuminator with the Satori. If this was for a simple two way, I'd go for the Satori every time. Where I come from the Satori is cheaper than the Rev and significantly cheaper than the Illuminator.

I've used the Dayton and it is a nice driver. It does have the usual metal cone break up to deal with so some sort of tank ckt. would prolly need to be used to surpress it. If you've already purchased the paper version you won't be disappointed using that driver. I'd also recommend getting the RS28a/f tweeter, they are a fabulous tweeter for the money.
http://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery-speaker-project-rsrs

Last edited:
It depends what ranges from SS you are talking about.

If you're comparing 5-8" drivers and the discovery vs SBs standard range then the SBs are the better drivers.

If you're comparing the 7" Revelator/Illuminator with the Satori. If this was for a simple two way, I'd go for the Satori every time. Where I come from the Satori is cheaper than the Rev and significantly cheaper than the Illuminator.

What about the classic line, like the 18w/8545K? I used these with the 9300 tweeter and they were outstanding. Although, I haven't heard the Satori or SB's so I can't compare.

There's less objective data around for the classic line than the newer lines, but from what little does exist, they are decent performers. The Revelator line are a step above them however. The trouble with the Reveleator line is that they were the first line of speakers that Scan had released for a very long time. As a result of this the company had invested a lot of R&D into them and it showed. The performance across the board was and is excellent.

If you ignore the Satori the 18W8531G is one of the best 7" drivers ever created, so much so that objectively out performs the 7" Illuminators.

The 6" Satori is a bit like Scans Revelator offerings in that SB focused a tremendous amount of R&D into just the one driver. It is, in effect, what the Illumintor should have been. Both the cone and motor of the Satori are outstanding and are a step above the Rev.

Thanks for the input guys! :) This forum is awesome! Sorry, I haven't chimed in for a few days. I've been wrapped with a minor family emergency, though all is well now.

I hear the same opinions from here and elsewhere on the web. Summarizing (ultra-generically), the Daytons are an excellent value. The Seas Prestige sound better. The adage, "you get what you pay for" applies... The Revelator, Satori, Excel are better still if you're willing to pay even more. Beginner beware: break up of the metal coned drivers.

The thread got off topic for a few posts but came back on. I figured it would wander some. ;)

Keep toying with the crossover…

I'll keep checking the thread for more posts. Happy trails!

Keith

I would not say that the SEAS prestige range sound better than the RS range from Dayton Audio. They have more advanced motors than most of the Prestige range and offer superior objective performance. Some of the Prestige drivers are much better than others mind you. These tend to be easy to pick out as they mention shorting rings in the datasheet.

Of the Prestige drivers, I would gladly use the ER18 and U18 in two way designs. The L16 and U16 are at their best when used as the bottom in a compact three way as they have very low distortion down low when compared to other drivers of a similar basket size, but aren't so hot higher up. Something like the U16, Vifa TC9 + OX20/OT19, would make for a killer tiny three way and not cost a tremendous amount.

The U22 would also be worth considering as a bass driver if its T/S parameters fit what you're after. If it follows the trend of the other two in the series it should also have very low distortion in the lower mids and bass. Doesn't go particularly deep though.

As a general rule I would say that the RS series from DA are hard to beat period, unless you want to buy Scan/Satori, or Excels etc. Some drivers are better than the RS line and don't cost a fortune, but they tend to be more stand out products in a product line, rather than the entire line being excellent. I don't think the RS line has a bad driver in it. If the new paper drivers in the series offer similar HD performance, but without the associated breakup, they should be giant killers too. But you've got SB acoustics poly and paper cones to compete with those, though the RS line offers better bass performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.