Opinions on tweeters please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RDV said:
I wonder why the .75" supposedly goes lower than the 1"?

Even though the Fs is much lower on the 1".

Doesn't seem right to me.

RDV

That's just what partsexpress reports in the page. If you notice the .75in "supposedly" goes down to FS. They simply qouted the FS as the lowest frequency in the "frequency range" spec. Ignore the frequency response given by parts express on the front page.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=276-102

You'll notice FS is qouted in Freq. range.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=276-152

This one has the more sensible doubling of the FS applied in the frequency range spec.

I've used Audax's 3/4 in titanium dome before, this entire neodymium series has to be crossed over rather high. I'd suggest between 3 to 3.5khz 2nd order electrical is a good range.

When I got home from work I tore into one of the speakers and examined the crappy crossover.

It consists of a 1st order to the tweeter and a 2nd order to the woofer.

Can someone tell me what the woofer would be crossed over at? The tweeter should be at about 4700hz @ 6 ohms(too high).

See attached.

RDV

Attachments

• xover.jpg
    xover.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 283
I can't get any of the online calculators to give me a value that contains anything near 10µF along with 5.3mH or .53mH. I can't do the math to figure where they've got the woofer crossed at. It's probably a poor design or designed to make really poor drivers sound as good as possible or that's just a stock # on the inductor and has NOTHING to do with the value.

RDV

A couple of things I'm sure of. The reason vocals are almost missing on these speaks is the high crossover point of the tweets(@ least 4500hz) along with tweets that would sound okay if I were using a mid driver.

I ordered some AUDAX TM025F1 tweets today. I think this will do the trick because these will be crossed at a lower freq because of their higher impedance plus they will be able to handle the freq having a nice low Fs.

It will have to be an improvement.

RDV

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
RDV: I wrote phase, not polarity. Phase may not be tracking properly in the overlap. Such issues are difficult. See what happens when you replace your tweets. Maybe luckily all will fall into place.

David: Here you can see my take on this tweeter between 2 midbass units. The bass is much bigger than the configuration may suggest.
The Daytons look inneficient and way too complex and resonating to achieve any worthy result with an intuitive crossover approach.
I would use the proven design as a head and cross to an active sub(or maybe 2).

salas said:
RDV: I wrote phase, not polarity. Phase may not be tracking properly in the overlap. Such issues are difficult. See what happens when you replace your tweets. Maybe luckily all will fall into place.
Coming from the guitar effects field phase sometimes = polarity. I understand what you were saying now. I was tyrying to get out too cheaply when I initially bought my drivers. I'm now thinking that you've got to have decent tweeters.

If the tweeters don't help, I'm going to do a different crossover.

RDV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.