Opinions on gold plated fuses.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used BNC just to make hookup cables for my DIY signal gen and scope.

I like BNC as it locks in place. there's no way you could pull it out using the wire only. :D

the new tiny gold connectors used in newer RF stuff is a little hard to find for now. BNC's are easier to find. ;)

guys, I think we have moved too far from the topic. :smash:

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

Off topic...yes you are right.
Gold plated fuse is the subject.

Just make sure not to mix gold and tin, especially unsoldered connections such as gold plated fuse in tinned fuse holder.

Anyone familiar with old computers that used EDO memory will be familiar with the effects. Motherboards and memory modules at the time had either gold plated or tinned connectors. If mixed, problems with bad connections were inevitable after a while.

The key word is "say." You can find people who "say" just about any silly thing; that doesn't make it true. $30 for a fuse is indeed useful- it's nature's way of telling you that you're too gullible to be allowed outside without a keeper.

Now, show me a controlled test showing electrical differences in an amp's performance or audibility of the changes and that's a different story. But those don't exist, and for a very simple reason- this is a total scam.

SY said:
The key word is "say." You can find people who "say" just about any silly thing; that doesn't make it true. $30 for a fuse is indeed useful- it's nature's way of telling you that you're too gullible to be allowed outside without a keeper.

Now, show me a controlled test showing electrical differences in an amp's performance or audibility of the changes and that's a different story. But those don't exist, and for a very simple reason- this is a total scam.

I totally agree! How can anyone not see that? I mean, I'll buy into some pretty ridiculous stuff and at least try it out for myself but this has got to be the worst I've seen. It's in a totally different league.

hags said:

I totally agree! How can anyone not see that? I mean, I'll buy into some pretty ridiculous stuff and at least try it out for myself but this has got to be the worst I've seen. It's in a totally different league.

The gold plated fuse is at least working as a fuse should (I dare to presume). Take a look at Shakti...it is to say the least, mind blowing to see that they can actually sell stuff, like an audiophool coathanger and magic stones and what not. Those products have just two purposes to fullfill.

1) Fill up the bank account of the people behind Shakti.

2) Making sure that people THAT gullible at least cause no harm to others with their purchases (as they hopefully have little cash left after the purchase to buy harmfull stuff for) ;)

Magura :)

Magura said:

The gold plated fuse is at least working as a fuse should (I dare to presume). Take a look at Shakti...it is to say the least, mind blowing to see that they can actually sell stuff, like an audiophool coathanger and magic stones and what not. Those products have just two purposes to fullfill.

1) Fill up the bank account of the people behind Shakti.

2) Making sure that people THAT gullible at least cause no harm to others with their purchases (as they hopefully have little cash left after the purchase to buy harmfull stuff for) ;)

I misspoke, I forget about the stones!
Ouch!

You ain't seen nuttin' yet. There's a company that sells a jar full of rocks which is claimed to do all sorts of wonderful things for the sound. The same outfit sells magic hat-racks for acoustic control, and so-called quantum chips that invisibly alter the data on your CDs to make them sound better. What? You can't find any changes in the data? That's because the changes are invisible, silly boy.

And then there's a couple from England who have been preying on the gullible for decades. They sell bits of foil, little shiny things that appear to be holographic stickers like my 6 year old plays with, and advocate freezing pictures of yourself to improve the sound. More power to them, I say- separating fools from their money is a long and honorable profession.

And there's the CD demagnetizers, which are almost as funny as the DVD rewinders.

Compared to this stuff, $30 gold plated fuses are pretty mild.

Rule of thumb: If some breakthrough in our fundamental understanding of physics is made, it will not be done by someone selling hifi gadgets.

edit: I see magura and I crossposted. Great minds and all that.

TwoSpoons said:
The real crime is that RCA became the defacto standard for component video, an area where impedance does matter. BNC would be far better.

As for worrying about the conductivity of the copper - the output impedance of the source is going to be 1000 times higher than the resistance of the cable.

And phools who buy gold plated, cryo chilled whatever, thinking this will greatly improve their gear, deserve to lose their cash.
Most consumer grade equipment actually use a "DE15HD" connector for component video. Not sure how it does but it doesn't look like it would perform too well with the three signals right next to each other in the cable. In practice, it works just fine. Can't beat DVI, though.

Magura said:
Time for a good laugh :D

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/

I know there is a company selling some special wooden volume buttons, making some real entertaining claims, but I can't remember the name of the company....pitty, they're sure good for a laugh as well.

Here 'tis.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C

I think you'd have to be a Signature Knob to buy one. You'd be a Reference Knob if you then bouasted about it's audible benefits in public.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.