Opinions on 5" midwoofer choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, exactly, so if you paint it and you deform the plug ever so slightly (because of paint drip, or simply modify the surface material of the plug), the air displacement will change, therefore your frequency response will change. I'm not saying it will change ALOT, but it would have to be tested. But I'm not the one who'll fork 150$ to test it. :)

TNT said:

.... The phase plug is attached to the pole piece.....

/

It seems that the new peerless drivers might not be completely vaporware. I asked the local hifi store about them and they said that they will get them from the factory with a shipping time of 2-3 weeks.

I'm probably not gonna try to paint the phase plug, but I believe that the thickness of the paint layer would probably be less than the industrial tolerances for the size of the phase plug.

The response curve of the 830873 looks very nice, is there a particular reason you decided not to go with those? Anybody seen distortion measurments on these (or the ones with the phase plugs)? I think I'll make something with the 830873 and the Audax TM020J3 tweeter once we get our "DIY Audio Club" going here in Columbus.

critofur said:
The response curve of the 830873 looks very nice, is there a particular reason you decided not to go with those? Anybody seen distortion measurments on these (or the ones with the phase plugs)? I think I'll make something with the 830873 and the Audax TM020J3 tweeter once we get our "DIY Audio Club" going here in Columbus.

Critofur,

Do you realize you just replied to a thread that's almost a year old? It's seems weird bumping this completely out of date thread to the top. Let me guess, you did a search for 830873 and this is the first thread you clicked into.

In any case, I suppose I'll add to it. I recently completed testing on a batch of 5.5" woofers:

Aurum Cantus AC-130F1
Davis 13KLV5MA
Dayton RS150S-8
Dayton RS150-4
Eton 5-880
Morel HU531
North Creek 13W06S
Peerless HDS Exclusive 830882
Peerless HDS Nomex 830873
Scan Speak Revelator 15W8531-K01 (non-coated)
Scan Speak Revelator 15W8530-K00 (coated low Qts)
Seas CA15RLY
Seas Excel W15CH-001 (Magnesium Hexadym)
Seas Excel W15CY-001 (Magnesium)
Seas Excel W15LY-001 (Nextel)
Silver Flute W14RC25-8

http://www.zaphaudio.com/5.5test

And with that, I'll disappear, never to return to this thread again. :D

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Of those 5.5"'s, the SS Rev's are by far the best for a 2-way, but the other thing that I've concluded from these tests is that with proper crossover and cabinet design, most of these drivers can be made into speakers that will sound pretty good.

These days I'm so afraid of buying a commercial loudspeaker that has no data on it's measurements (no matter how good the drivers)

Don't blame the driver, blame the design (or in some cases,no design ):rolleyes:

Scan-Speak 5 1/2 inch sliced cones .

Good to see the Scan-Speaks on your site John ! - thanks for the work you do in preparing such . _____ Given Reilumeininki's renewed interest in these drivers , thus what I might have now started as result of my earlier queries about Scan's sliced cone drivers ! - well , if so I hope its to many enthusiasts benefit .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.