Opening the new DacMagic????

Now I have replaced the 15-volt regulators with Dexa/NewClassD.

See attached pictures.

I think it gave bigger improvement than to replace the 5-volt, but it is hard to say. Sound-memory is a tricky thing...

The 5-volt regulator is the Belleson Superpower.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 685
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 647
I just replaced the U404 5v regulator. the one where Rajapruk uses a burson.
I use the newclassd dexa regulator:
NewClassD UWB Regulator
37.27$ and free shipment since its a Danish product :eek:)
Just plugged it in last night. So as Rajapruk, it still needs time to burn in. But my initial experience is still very good.
The changes are small but noticeable. the Dac has become better in all aspects.
Deep bas is more deep and calm. middlebas i more firm and quick, really gives you a smack, when present on recordings. Midrange seems more calm and a little more defined. But most important change has been on the treble, where I can surely hear that, there is a lot less sibilance. The treble now seems more far-stretched, and nice to listen to, even when I put on recordings that I know to be slightly anoying in the treble. Now they are far more likeable.
Great upgrade, at a great price.
Oh, and there also seems to be more details. but that could simply be because it is now more pleasent to listen to. so that I now notice them more easily.
It may not give all the same experience. Since listening rooms, hifi-systems and ears, are so different and complex. And my system is not in any way standard - big 4way fully active system with really good hifi drivers.
But this upgrade should give proof, to most people that good clean power for all components are very important.

Looking forward to hear more from Rajapruk about his upgrade of the +/-15 v regulators.

Last edited:
Sorry translation error.
Did you mean crystal.
Jitter specifications with the original oscillator is 130 ps.
The crystal is not the best, but I agree that reform is expensive.

That is the total jitter and the main cause for high jitter would be down to the power supply, not the crystal.

The crystal looks like the one used in the 640c cdp and is nearer +/- 10ppm.

I just replaced the U404 5v regulator. the one where Rajapruk uses a burson.
I use the newclassd dexa regulator:
NewClassD UWB Regulator
37.27$ and free shipment since its a Danish product :eek:)
Just plugged it in last night. So as Rajapruk, it still needs time to burn in. But my initial experience is still very good.
The changes are small but noticeable. the Dac has become better in all aspects.
Deep bas is more deep and calm. middlebas i more firm and quick, really gives you a smack, when present on recordings. Midrange seems more calm and a little more defined. But most important change has been on the treble, where I can surely hear that, there is a lot less sibilance. The treble now seems more far-stretched, and nice to listen to, even when I put on recordings that I know to be slightly anoying in the treble. Now they are far more likeable.
Great upgrade, at a great price.
Oh, and there also seems to be more details. but that could simply be because it is now more pleasent to listen to. so that I now notice them more easily.
It may not give all the same experience. Since listening rooms, hifi-systems and ears, are so different and complex. And my system is not in any way standard - big 4way fully active system with really good hifi drivers.
But this upgrade should give proof, to most people that good clean power for all components are very important.

Looking forward to hear more from Rajapruk about his upgrade of the +/-15 v regulators.

I don't use Burson, I use Belleson :)

I think I hear much more ambient sounds after 15volt change, but I want to evaluate more, before giving my statement.

The dexa-regs are on the heatsink,

A lot of recommendations on replacing the voltage regulators. Thinking of replacing U402, U403 (+- 15V) and U404 (+5V) regulators with NewClassD Dexa Regulators.

Two questions:
1. Can I use the original heatsinks - I assume the original regulators are on heatsinks?
2. Any problem fitting them in the small box of Dacmagic?

Perhaps the answers are buried in this long thread. Hope someone doesn't mind repeating the answers.

Someone suggested replacing the diodes D400-D403 with Schottky diodes 10MQ100N. Supplier(s), please.

A lot of recommendations on replacing the voltage regulators. Thinking of replacing U402, U403 (+- 15V) and U404 (+5V) regulators with NewClassD Dexa Regulators.

Two questions:
1. Can I use the original heatsinks - I assume the original regulators are on heatsinks?
2. Any problem fitting them in the small box of Dacmagic?

Perhaps the answers are buried in this long thread. Hope someone doesn't mind repeating the answers.

Someone suggested replacing the diodes D400-D403 with Schottky diodes 10MQ100N. Supplier(s), please.

Dexa fits on the heatsink, no problem fittin them in the box.

I did both capacitor and 5-volt at the same time, so I can not distinguish those changes from each other.

And I do not remember exactly how it sounded before anymore... All I know is that it sounds really great now!

If the total improvement is 100%, I would roughly say that:
Shorting the output-caps: 50%
5-volt regulator: 25%
15-volt regulators: 25%

That is what I beleive anyway.

The last change did give me more details, especially notable for ambient sounds, echos, reverbs and stuff like that, that gives you the feeling of being in the same room as the singer.

This 5v dexa regulator is really beginning to kick in. Every time I put one of my cd's on. I stop sometimes, and listen, just to realise that new details and charme in the sound, has been revealed.
Now I'm shopping for some Muse ES caps for output - I'm chiken I know... but they are so dirt cheap, that I want to try what happens, when the original are changed to Nichicon's ES... before I experiment any further.
But op-amps and a couple of ekstra dexa regulators for +/-15v are allready in my mind.

Anyone tried to go for +/-12v instead og the original 15?
I heard that should be alot better to not be near any of the components supply limit. So if an NE5532 is rated at 15volt. its better to step down to 12 and givet it a break. anyone tried it??

Tordenguden, with dexa you have 30 days to test the regulators in your own equipment, and can send it back and get the money back. So why not test the 12-volt ones?

Good point.
But I was actually looking at changing to LME49860. They cost less than half of 4562 at digikey, and is basicly the same, and can handle up to 22v instead of only 17v.
And in that case there would be no point in changing to 12v, since I then would have to change transformer as well, to avoid to great a voltage diff across the reg's = to much heat and shorter life.

Another thing.
When looking at tentlabs XO. I discovered a schematic 1/3 down they'r page:
XO
It's a suggested powersupply for they'r XO crystal.
I read later in this thread that the crystal in the dac magic is not that bad at all.
So I thought of simply unsoldering the original crystal from the DM, build the suggested power supply from tentlabs and use the original DM XO on this. Feed it with power from an early stage in the powersupply of the DM.
Would that not be the cheapest way to enhance the quality of the clock??

Another thing.
When looking at tentlabs XO. I discovered a schematic 1/3 down they'r page:
XO
It's a suggested powersupply for they'r XO crystal.
I read later in this thread that the crystal in the dac magic is not that bad at all.
So I thought of simply unsoldering the original crystal from the DM, build the suggested power supply from tentlabs and use the original DM XO on this. Feed it with power from an early stage in the powersupply of the DM.
Would that not be the cheapest way to enhance the quality of the clock??

interesting idea..i would be interested to hear some thoughts on this too..

Possible that this would be an improvement. However, I have had issues with Tent Labs. My order took 5 months to arrive with continuous promises of it will be shipped next week. Then when it arrived some of the components where missing from the circuit board. In the end everything worked great. But just make sure the item is in stock and shipped via Fedex, DHL, or some other trackable method not the standard method that they offer.

My point is, to NOT buy from Tentlabs. and simply use the existing crystal. and just give it a better powersupply. Since the original crystal is not that bad at all.
Right now I am waiting for a respond from Dexa/LCaudio/newclassd. They have som interessting clock's. for a very few $ with build on power supply.
And furthermore, I was thinking of wrapping the crystal+supply, in something electricaly isoltadet material, then som tinfoil, and then something electrically isolated again. This should protect the crystal from any noisy surrounding source of HF-noise.

I allso thought alot about the noisy MC34063 DC-DC converter. this one feeds the crystal, and most of the digital chips inside.
And the MC34063 is working with a switching frequency of maximum 100Khz... so there is a BIG chance that it is polluting the entire system - no matter how good filtration you use.
Anyone know how much current is needed??
I thought about just unsoldering the MC34063 and use a 5v Dexa regulator instead - feeding the LT317 that produces the 3.3 volt for most of the digital chips.
but I want to be sure that it can deliver enough current for all of the ic's.

is it possible to reduce the output voltage of dacmagic to half of the original? i'm using gainclone as my amplifier and it can only swings voltage around 25V (i'm using 18VAC toroid), while the gain is 22. with 2v output voltage of dacmagic, it's really easy to get distortion in high volume