Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget

Hello, i couldn"t find a topic about Tidal, hope you don't mind i m putting it here. I have a Tidal hifi abbo and should be able to play socalled masters, mqa files. It doesnt work. Why ? When put on UAC2 my computer does'nt "see" the henry dac. So doesn't Tidal.
Foobar however can play HRes files as explained in the Henry dac factsheet.
Now how can i bring the Henry dac under attention of the Tidal app ? When i put the dac on UAC1 tidal and windows can see it and playing (with great sound!!) is no problem.
Best regards Al

Hi Neb,

The Audio Widget uses the Atmel AVR32 UC3A3 chip. It is currently set up to handle 2 channels. The limiting factor is mainly one stereo I2S pair.

The chip does have more features and ports, but we haven't yet figured out how to output more than two channels (or two data lines of DSD for that matter).

For 6 channels the AVR32 design can be an inspiration or a starting point. Serial IO expansion is the main bottle neck at the moment, other aspects are "only software" :)

For schematics, please visit USB DAC from Henry Audio, Give your computer great sound and click on the Fact Sheet at the bottom.

Cheers,
Børge

Hi Neb,

The Audio Widget uses the Atmel AVR32 UC3A3 chip. It is currently set up to handle 2 channels. The limiting factor is mainly one stereo I2S pair.

The chip does have more features and ports, but we haven't yet figured out how to output more than two channels (or two data lines of DSD for that matter).

For 6 channels the AVR32 design can be an inspiration or a starting point. Serial IO expansion is the main bottle neck at the moment, other aspects are "only software" :)

For schematics, please visit USB DAC from Henry Audio, Give your computer great sound and click on the Fact Sheet at the bottom.

Cheers,
Børge

That's ok, 6 channels are being delivered by FreeDSP, I just need I2S stereo output from UC3A3. It's basically like this:

USB->UC3A3->I2S stereo->ADAU1701(crossover or whatever)->4 analog channels (stereo 2 way) + 2 I2S outputs (subs).

Last edited:
OK, if you only need I2S stereo it is possible to also use the USB-I2S module which we used in the Audio Widget project some time ago.

Is this a one-off or do you plan to make many of them?

On the module you must provide your own MCLK in the form of two crystal oscillators. The rest is pretty much covered.

Or you could get a complete DAC implementation and tap out the I2S data you need. It is brought out on easily available test points. There's also UART, SPI, I2C and various GPIO in case you need that for control.

Børge

OK, if you only need I2S stereo it is possible to also use the USB-I2S module which we used in the Audio Widget project some time ago.

Is this a one-off or do you plan to make many of them?

On the module you must provide your own MCLK in the form of two crystal oscillators. The rest is pretty much covered.

Or you could get a complete DAC implementation and tap out the I2S data you need. It is brought out on easily available test points. There's also UART, SPI, I2C and various GPIO in case you need that for control.

Børge

Something like this?

http://www.pavouk.org/hw/audiosystem20/en_at32uc3a3256usbi2s.html#schematics

Yes, that's the kind of module I was refering to. I have perhaps 15 or so in my storage, and there are others makers of them here as well.

Børge

So, my AT32UC3A board seems to be up and showing as AT32UC3A DFU in device manager with yellow '!", which means I need driver. I went to the link on first post, and could not figure out what I need to install driver and to burn firmware under Windows.

I'm back in business. However, I cannot burn any .elf file, only hex ones:

C:\dfu-programmer-win-0.7.2>dfu-programmer.exe at32uc3a3
256 flash awx_20140918_mkII_RC03.elf --debug 6
target: at32uc3a3256
chip_id: 0x2ff1
vendor_id: 0x03eb
command: flash
quiet: false
debug: 6
device_type: AVR32
------ command specific below ------
validate: true
hex file: awx_20140918_mkII_RC03.elf

Error reading line 1.

I made two versions of the .bat file,
E:\kitten\avr32\github\sdr-widget\Release>type c:prog.bat

Code:
batchisp -device at32uc3a3256 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer %1 program verify start reset 0

batchisp -device at32uc3a3256 -hardware usb -operation memory flash loadbuffer %1 program verify start reset 0

You may try both versions. The AW_readme.txt file has more. I'm not familar with dfu-programmer.exe but look forward to trying it!

Sorry, I have no idea why you can work with one format and not the other.

Best,
Børge