Open Baffle with Field Coil speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Albert,

Since I see you are still around (this thread started quite a few years ago!),
Could you share which Open Baffle program you were using?

I've been looking around, and some like The Edge, or ABC Dipole are available, but it doesn't look clean like the graphs you posted. MZ Speaker Designer has been "Coming soon" since it's beginning many years ago.

Thanks!

The spreadsheet I use was written by Thorsten Loesch, based on a compilation of others work (White Allison, Steele).
It does not allow print a graph, but with printscreen I can copy it.

I have measured the parameters of the speakers, and the 2A9 have too low a Q for my purpose, so in time I will replace them and sell them.
But they do give a marvelous depth to the sound. Best should be to find someone who can make a new spider with a high Q.​

See my current simulation with 2A3 on top. It is interesting that the moment I turn around the speakers, the 2A9 at the bottom, the two outputs coincide!

I included the spreadsheet.
It is a simple version (I expect it calculates from a point source on the baffle), on the web there is a sophisticated version (for sale) that allows sort of depicting many small speakers to get a more realistic output. I do not have that version

I have used a boost in the preamp but I discarded it as too artificial.

Attachments

• OB RFT onder 2A9 boven kopie.jpg
    OB RFT onder 2A9 boven kopie.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 241
  • OB 2A9 low kopie.jpg
    OB 2A9 low kopie.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 240
  • XBaffle, RFT + 2A9.zip
    562 KB · Views: 44
Just came across this thread. I want to share my experience.
I use a German 8" Greatz field coil speaker on an open baffle. I have a simple Foster Horn tweeter crossed in at above 10khz.
This is all on a baffle of just over 16" wide.

Here is the thing I tried to make an acceptably small baffle for my (wife) livingroom. I got some nice 10" bass drivers from an old B&O system. Instead of trying to brute force the bass I put them into a smallish aperiodic box (leaky vent box), this means that these relatively small bass drivers put out very clean and relatively deep bass without to much effort and without a massively wide baffle.

Aperiodic boxes are a sensible compromise solution for a OB coupled to a nice medium sized field coil or alnico fullrange driver. The German Greatz drivers sound surprisingly good and can be had for less than €200.00 a pair. Mine had an anular ring which needed damping to calm down a nazal honk and I added a simple hollow phase plug to the naked pole piece.

Overall for a set of speakers which which date back to the seventies at the earliest they sound amazingly detailed and modern.

Shoog

I had dual sealed 8" subs under my fullrange drivers, and I thought that was quite nice. It is indeed the easy way to get some bass in a small package.

I've since switched the sealed 8" for a couple of 15" in OB, and strangely enough, the wife was ok with the change.

What I gained is bass even at low volume, which I didn't have before with the dual sealed 8 inchers.

But yes, for someone who is space constrained, smaller sealed or vented boxes will do fine for the low end.

It's always a balance between what we want and what we can do.

Aperiodic behave very like Transmission Lines if set up correctly. They will tend to have a slightly higher cutoff point than a typical TL. They are a very different beast to any form of reflex ported designs.

The issue I see with sealed box subs is that they need significant power to drive and powerful magnets to overcome the airspring without heavy distortion. This makes them a very poor match to the typically 100db/w field coil drivers they are been partnered with. Aperiodics present little back load to the sub so they are easy to drive.

Shoog

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.