Open baffle Nautilus: the Fibonacci solution to edge diffraction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That's an interesting thought to do a hybrid sealed TL top with the Nautaloss and an OB woofer on the bottom. Aren't you concerned that you don't have the OB sound anymore? I have listened to both and I think the Nautaloss sounds just as good if not better than the OB variety with the Vifa. You might as well as go with the sealed Nautaloss subs while you are going this way then. :) I have to say I like the sound of the slot loaded OB woofer that I made.

I like the Nautaloss a lot, very clever concept, if I would have seen them before building my Nautilus, probably there wouldn't be any Nautilus now :D

Anyway, can you confirm you wired the woofer without any lowpass filter in your nautilus test article?

Consider in mine they are cut at 150Hz with a second order filter, so the woofer doesn't add anything above 300Hz

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The freq response measurements of the Nautaloss fullrange speakers without the sub was performed without any high pass filter - straight connection to amp. The frequency response and HD plot if the FAST system with the Nautaloss fullrange tops and the subwoofer bottom used a crossover provided via miniDSP. In that case the Nautaloss fullrange was high passed with a 2nd order LR at about 200 Hz and the subwoofer was low passed with a 3rd order LR at about 250 Hz IIRC. I played around with a bunch of different XO slope and types (LR and BW). Interestingly it actually sounds ok running both the sub and tops fullrange. There is a natural smoothness if you look at one of my earlier measurments I show what it looks like fullrange on both and it was not bad looking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.