open baffle bass-dipole-what amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HiFiNutNut said:
Bass amps are less important - I am not sure.

I had a pair of dual monoblocks driving a pair of Peerless XLS 12" in U-frames.

Hi Bill.

I think I made it clear that the subwoofer AMP is very important and needs quite some power to drive the low-end down from 50Hz. For the upper end around 60-100 Hz and not to forget throughout the whole crossover area, i'd say, up to 2 octaves above the crossover point the amp-quality should be as good as you have it for the mids and highs. Otherwise the sound quality will suffer heavily in this very important area of 100-400Hz.

This is one of the main points why I refered to the 4 channel T-amp module. Perhaps going for the 8 channel module would give even better options. 2*2 for the subs, 1 each for highs and mids.

Your peerless woofers, do have a low sensivity, below 90db/SPL if I recall it right, and that's a complete different story. They need quite some juice to start moving at all in the low end!;)

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.