ONO output cap choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, I see - they are polycarbonate. Never had them before.....

Anyway:

I tried the no cap option, with about 50-150mV DC on the outputs. It tended to vary about a lot, but didn't go above those values (when warmed up, it started off at 1.5V).

No doubt this is very clean sound, very good tonal range and even throughout. However, I went back and put the MGBO-1 back in and its very hard to hear any difference. Seems to me that this one is the one to keep in there. Seeing as I can't really hear much difference from a piece of wire, it gets my vote. Also, not sure that theres much point in bypassing it either......

The only bit of experimenting I would like to do is to try the 10uF versions of the same cap in there (the one I've used so far is 4uF).

Fran

So I think I've settled on some choices:

C10 coupling cap, 10uF MGBO-1 russian cap with a 10nf wima FKP as bypass
C7 and C9 4uF MGBO-1 also bypassed with wima FKP 10nf

Sound now is very smooth and 3D. Definitely an improvement on the panasonic FM and Cornell CDT caps previously installed. Only thing is that these caps are so big I need to be ab it clever with how to hold them in place. Thanks to all who suggested and helped out here.

Fran

So I think I've settled on some choices:

C10 coupling cap, 10uF MGBO-1 russian cap with a 10nf wima FKP as bypass
C7 and C9 4uF MGBO-1 also bypassed with wima FKP 10nf

Sound now is very smooth and 3D. Definitely an improvement on the panasonic FM and Cornell CDT caps previously installed. Only thing is that these caps are so big I need to be ab it clever with how to hold them in place. Thanks to all who suggested and helped out here.

Fran

Drop me a PM with your particulars, and I'll send you a few MKC caps.

Magura :)

Attachments

• Roe-1862.JPG
    Roe-1862.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 274
Thanks to all for yuor encouragement and help!

zygibajt: I will search for those caps, although I can't ever remember coming across them anywhere yet.

Try eBay they show up very often. Siemens MKV is just extremely outstanding cap as signal capacitor. Bosch MP is also extremely good although a tiny bit outperformed by Siemens. This is not only my opinion , you can google it.

You will not find anything even close to those below the level of Mudorf Silver in Oil or copper/oil jensens and the caps that would outperform Siemens and Bosch a little are V-Caps and Audio note but this cost a small fortune.

The Russians are quite fine, better than most of those audiophile crap out there below some usually very high prices. They actually showed me how huge diffrances the cap may do. But Siemens and Bosch is just another level.

If you want high quality audio without spending few hundreds bucks for a good signal caps. The only way to save the money if you have space inside component and do not mind use old used caps are the two above and maybe some others I stil haven't tested

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.