Onkyo CD DX706

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I forgot to followup with my experiences.
I replaced my DX-706 spindle motor some time ago.
I purchased my RF-310T-11400 spindle motors from MCM Electronics in the USA (link here
). I added a 0.01uF cap across the motor before installation as Hugo suggested.
Definitely had to drill new mounting holes in the frame that holds the motor, again as Hugo advised. I just shielded and vacuumed to keep the metal shavings from the drilling to spread to unwanted places and cause shorts or scratch the laser.
I had some washers to help me set the table height correctly.
Screwed it all back together and fired it up - played like a champ.
Anatech will probably spank me for this, but I didn't bother to check the eye pattern (and trim as needed). Eventually, I'll get around to it.
As I implied in a previous message, replacing the spindle motor addressed ALL the skipping, clicking, etc. issues I experienced with this machine.

Hope this helps somebody else ...

mlloyd1

new DX-706 problem symptoms ...

you may remember that i replaced the worn spindle motor in my onkyo dx706 early last year to correct a skipping problem. the machine has been performing well until earlier yesterday.

the new symptom:
occasionally, the machine will not read the TOC. when this happens, the disc spins up fine and i hear the head searching, but the machine will either not stop searching or indicate (erroneously) 99 tracks. sometimes reinserting the disc makes the symptom vanish, sometimes power cycling the machine makes the symptom vanish. when the machine plays, there is no skipping. however, once (this evening), the machine simply stopped as if paused (the displayed time and track counters froze) and would not resume without reinserting the disc.

before i go inside and have a look-see, i wanted to know from you other owners or service engineers if you have experienced this symptom, what was the cause and how did you repair it?

my preliminary guess is possible alignment problems (i did not check eye patterns or anything when i replaced the spindle motor). i don't suspect sticky slides because of cleaning done during the previously mentioned surgery. i also don't suspect a dying laser. this doesn't seem to be a spindle motor symptom in my experience (whatever that's worth ;) )

oh yeah, this happens probably 1 in 6 times when i insert a disc.
it seems to be disc independent as near as i can tell (problem doesn't seem to localize to any particular discs).

and yes, i have the manual ...

thx!

mlloyd1

On my Onkyo and all other payers I might have I usually start by cleaning the lens to start with when having reading problems and 99% of the times this solves the problem.

Since you didn't mention this you could try and see what happens.

About a month ago I tested the Onkyo but found that has the cliking syntoms, the player has been unsused for about two years now but will be working on it shortly since I plan to change the Dac and of course all the output analog section.

Hope you solve the problem, let us know the outcome.
:)

BTW, I do have the service manual for the machine in case you dont, I could send a pdf of it.

oops, sorry, I now see you have the manual :xeye:

apassgear:

thanks, this is good advice. actually, i tried that early on, dirty lens did not seem to be a culprit. also, it is part of my routine every few months to use canned air to blow dust, etc. out of the transport assembly.

mlloyd1

apassgear said:
On my Onkyo and all other payers I might have I usually start by cleaning the lens to start with when having reading problems and 99% of the times this solves the problem...

i usually just blow dust off. once every year or two, i open it and use my camera lens cleaner solution and cloth over a q-tip to drive . this worked well for my ancient yamaha cd 2 it's a yukky sounding machine, but my best friend still plays it hours every day. it has never skipped and still has the original laser and spindle motor ... amazing!

mlloyd1

Yes, similar to what I do when cleaning except for dusting in between.

As you say, some oldies are die hard CD players, I still use my beloved Magnavox CD650 with a Crown DAC and many mods. It works without a lid and is quite dusty at the time but doesn’t skip a beat and sounds liquid; far better than the Onkyo.

Want to redo the Onkyo cause in many ways is a wonderful player and has seen little use so hope the laser will last many years.

sticking tray? - easy fix for me!

just in case anyone out there still uses their onkyo dx-706 ...

i recently had a problem with mine not opening the tray completely to allow disc insertion/removal. however, it would open and close just fine if you pulled and pushed the tray (as appropriate). no skipping, no other playback problems at all.

i assumed a dirty slide, or a weak tray motor. took a look inside prepared to address either of those two symptoms. the motor was fine, the slide was very clean, the belts were fine, the pulleys and gears were good, etc.

puzzled, i took the transport out (only four screws and it lifts out). i tilted it up to look closely and heard a tiny "tick" as something hit my desk. it was a solid small chunk of the goo that is used to lock screws in place. just out of curiosity, i fired the unit up and the tray worked faster and stronger than it ever had. i didn't see where the screw goo came from, so i wonder if there'll be another problem coming sometime down the road because of a screw that has worked out of position.

oh well ...

anyway, that's my story and i'm sticking to it ...
;)

mlloyd1

Hi all,

I have read all this thread, and is informative.
I have similar problem with my Onkyo DX6870 aka DX-708. While the disc is spinning for some seconds, the disc is waving a lot and after some time it stops.
It seems that problem is with spindle motor.

thanks
bekim

I own also a DX706 since several years and have the same problems as described here.

I already tried to clean the laser lens -> no improvement

I have tried to clean the guiding rail of the laser and then to lubricate it again with new oil -> no improvement

I will now try the advice of david and oil the spindle motor.

If it does not work, I will then try to replace this motor.

Just one question to you who already did it: How have you removed the part that support the CD? The one inserted on the motor axis.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jpierre.

re: still using my dx-706

i've got to take my sony cdp 779es out of service to work on it a bit, so i put my old trusty onkyo dx-706 in the downstairs system to keep me company while i work.

powered and loaded it up and found it wouldn't spin the disk!
:worried:
i knew it couldn't be the laser; no warning problems.
i knew it couldn't be a bad spindle motor; just replaced it a few years ago and no warning problems of that either.

although i was worried it might be a motor drive IC, i'm thinking it's got to be something simple.
i lifted the top and lifted the transport out (only 4 screws - i like this machine!).
to my surprise and pleasure, it WAS something simple - one of the spindle motor wires had broken off from the motor:D
so, a minute to heat up the iron and solder the wire back on, a minute to check other nearby wires, a minute to tape wires down to the base away from the slide motor (i think the broken wire was pulled off by the slide motor) and she's back in business.
:cool:
Popped in some Bradford and Ellis Marsallis - Loved Ones.
Oh Yeah ...
:D
Now, to start working on on the Sony ...

just in case anyone out there still uses their onkyo dx-706 ...

mlloyd1

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.