Onken box for Fe206 ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GM said:

Greets!

I believe so, there's just enough height/Vb to fold a tapered MLTL for the FE167E tuned as low as ~35 Hz, assuming the efficiency loss due to using series resistance to flatten out the FR in-room is acceptable. If a high output impedance amp is used, then that's probably all you'll need.

GM

Some questions: how have I to design a similar MLTL? Can someone suggest me where to find documentation, software or worksheets to do it easily (of course with your help guys)?

GM, you said “…assuming the efficiency loss…” but how much will that loss be? Can you quantify it?

Mark

mark_titano said:

Some questions: how have I to design a similar MLTL? Can someone suggest me where to find documentation, software or worksheets to do it easily (of course with your help guys)?

GM, you said “…assuming the efficiency loss…” but how much will that loss be? Can you quantify it?

Mark

Greets!

Read up on MJK's take on TL/MLTL (aka MLTQWT) theory and use his MathCad MLTQWT workheet: http://www.quarter-wave.com/ Lot's of good info here too: http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/

If you don't have a licensed copy of MC, he has a link to a demo version. Unfortunately, it can't save anything you do, so if desired, you must copy/paste it into a WORD or similar doc and re-input the various details if you want to change it.

Using some FE167E measured specs, I calc a 92.23 dB/W/m eff. (half space), dropping to 90.3 dB/W/m after adding 4 ohms of series resistance to flatten it out enough to get decent tonal balance down into the midbass. You can add more and drop it down further, but between where you're putting them and the increasing lack of Xmax below ~300 Hz, I doubt you'd want to use much more.

FYI, since this thread has gone off on a tangent, best to start a new one with a more appropriate heading so that others that do TL/MLTL design might chime in.

GM

GM thank you very much for the support.
I have mathcad, I’ve used it for some university projects.
The idea to open a new 3d is good indeed, but I must add some other thoughts before because there are other “limits” to consider, not only maximum dimensions, and I’m not sure if they can reach an agreement with a TL…
I’ll use these speakers in my secondary audio chain. The room is 3m*4m ca. and I’ll put the speakers on a desktop large 3m, tall 75cm and that it’s put right beside the wall of the shorter side of the room. I’ll use them with some small tube’s amps both push pull and Se (from 3W to 10W), so high efficiency is welcome. I must put the boxes in the wall’s corners, on the desktop and there’s no way to change these two limits.
Is it a BIG problem for a small TL?
Ok ok, this is a big problem for most of cabinet design if Hi-Fi is the target, but I can’t change this arrangement

Mark

Greets!

You're welcome!

No, not really, it's actually a much better scenario overall than I visualized since the corners will boost the low end considerably, though ideally they will need some absorption material on the desktop and maybe the walls to reduce early reflections. It would have been nice to have all this info from the get-go though. PP amps normally have a much lower output impedance than SE, so you will probably need different value resistors when switching amp types.

GM

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Increasing it to 10.00 makes for a nice EBS alignment
I am not very font of EBS in typical domestic spaces. It normally works with a recession before a hump lower when room gain kicks in. It sounds relatively 'one note' to me. I think Zaph has aired some relative view in the past too.

Regards

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello

Hmmm maybe if very specifically designed for a certain room...had listened to the same one note thing many times... Found Zaph's comment! its from his site in his general comments about designing etc. Quoting John: ''Note that this is not an Extended Bass Shelf (EBS) tuning. That kind of tuning implies an oversized enclosure volume, with a dip above the tuning frequency. You get the lowest anechoic F3 with that configuration, but in a real room you get an overbearing one-note bass at the tuning frequency, a huge midbass dip, and crappy power handling.''
Maybe he can tell us more if he is reading this thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.