• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ongaku amplifier AN transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a set of Audionote transformers 2x 10k output transformers 1x power transformer with heaters for the 4x 5AR4 rectifiers. 211 power tubes 5687 6072 etc.
These have all been used for about 100 hrs when I built the ongaku amplifier about 10 years ago, unfortunately whilst moving from the UK to Cyprus the chassis was damaged, it was all stripped down for when I had time to put it back
togther again unfortunately that day has never come.
I wish to sell them all preferably as a set could you tell me where I maybe able to advertise them to get a decent price for them besides Ebay.

They are all in perfect condition and have been flash tested at 2Kv to ensure they are safe to use.

Thanks Mark

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is the image you requested yes they are on mats so that I dont get a row from my wife, thankfully she doesnt know they cost conciderably more than the table.
The mains transformer has never been used, when I built the amp I used three smaller transfomers to give me the voltages I wanted. The mains TX was bloody expensive so I wanted to make sure I at least liked the sound.

Any questions just ask mark

pic does not seem to load is at http://www.dropshots.com/mark1evans#

paste into your browser

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Try attaching the pictures directly. Its much better all round.

To add a photo, files or non standard files.

First click "go advanced" in the box below the "quick reply" message box. Doesn't matter if you decide half way through a message to do that, it carries it forward.

Then click "Manage attachements". Maximise the new Window so that you can see all the text.

Click browse in the first box at the top and find your picture. Repeat for any more pictures.
Click upload... a message appears "uploading"
When complete the files will show as being attached. Now click the small text that says "close this window"

The pictures should now be attached and when you submit your post they will appear.

Make sure your pics aren't too big, a couple of 100k is plenty, and many members object when they are massive and it alters the margins
It tells you in the attachments window what max sizes are allowed.

If you want to attach a file that has a non standard format for example excel, circuit simulation etc then try putting the files in a zipped folder and attaching that.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 322
Yes I have the schematic, tho it is posted all over the internet, It is a very simple circuit with few components.The only thing to bear in mind is the voltage is just under 1Kv, keep these lines short and sleeve them in silicone rubber tubing and you will be fine.
I have some tested ideas that will save a lot of money when it comes to the capacitors they sound very good and paper in oil caps can come to a lot of money.
The 211s are ok and come from chelmer valves in the uk,but it deserves a lot better golden dragon premium are not absurd prices and sound very good.
As for price I originally posted to try and get some ideas to their worth and know what they cost me and they are now difficult to get hold of make an offer I suppose.
What I can tell you tho is I have 300b setup at the moment and they are not a patch on that ongaku, glassy clear is I suppose the words and with in enough grunt to drive normal speakers.
Hope this helps Mark

I'm highly interested.
What are the specifications on the power transformer? I live in the US. Our AC power is 120 volts at 60 cycles.
Are they manufactured by Audionote?
Can you give me an idea or a range of the price you would like?
Also, what would the cost of the lowest priced shipping to the US be?
Thanks in advance.

I'm Biased

Best to use a circuit diagram without errors, for a start the negative bias capacitor is reversed polarity, if you had it working OK with the transformers offered then all should be well if the builder is aware of this incorrect polarity on the diagram.
Its certainly not the only Kondo circuit with (intentional???) errors.

SC

Best to use a circuit diagram without errors, for a start the negative bias capacitor is reversed polarity, if you had it working OK with the transformers offered then all should be well if the builder is aware of this incorrect polarity on the diagram.
Its certainly not the only Kondo circuit with (intentional???) errors.

SC

if I'm not mistaken, that circuit was published in Sound Practices some years ago...

SP

A diagram was published together with some words by Kondo. The diagram had some differences, (to the diagram I had), but as someone borrowed all my SP mags around ten years ago I cannot comment further, perhaps someone with a copy can. I don't recall if the cap polarity had been corrected, I remember the 16K OPT wording was different to my copy which I also no longer have.

SC

If you look carefully at the schematic posted here there is no polarity marking on the negative supply caps, only the positive caps.

I have the Sound Practice magazine with the "Poor Man's Ongaku" article in it. It is stored somewhere but I am in the process of moving, so I don't know where. There are pirate PDF's of these magazines out there on the web.

I also has a set of AN transformers for the amp and a paper schematic that came with the transformers. It was the same diagram. The design works as published. If there were any (incorrect) polarity markings on my diagrams, I probably ignored them, since I know which end goes where. My transformers were silver in color with the black AN stickers on them. There are (were?) two companies called Audio Note, my transformers were from the UK company. The other AN is (was?) in Japan and their parts were more expensive.

I built the amp at least 10 years ago. After a year or so, I took it all apart and sold the transformers and most of the parts. I then rebuilt an amp of my own design that can use either 211's or 845's in A2 which I still have. It uses 10 K ohm OPT's.

Last edited:
I have received two messages asking whether or not I would recommend these transformers. I do not have enough information to do this.

The transformers I had were given to me by an audiophile (and diyAudio member) in his final days on this earth, asking only that I would finish his amplifier. He had purchased the transformers and most of the other parts back in the 90's and never built the amp. I did this and took a few pictures for his widow. I did not use the amplifier much, primarily due to the 400 watts of heat it puts into my small room. I did build another 211 / 845 amp which I still have, but rarely use for the same reason. Perhaps it will see more use after I move 1200 miles north.

I did Google to see that both Audio Note companies still seem to be in business, or at least have working web sites.

AN Japan does not list any transformers for the Ongaku for sale, only completed amps.

AN UK lists several versions of transformers for 211 tubes on their web site. The web site either has no copyright dates, or old ones. The date on the transformer page is 2006. Their web site has a forum page with postings as fresh as yesterday.

I tend to avoid expensive tubes, transformers or other parts. If I was to consider these transformers, the first thing I would do would be to ask about them on the AN forum. These are the questions that I would ask.

There are several versions of 211 / 845 SE OPT's available on the AN web site. The prices vary from expensive to really expensive. Which ones are these, and are they genuine. Maybe the seller knows which model they are. If not, ask on the forum if anyone recognized the color scheme (wires and end bells). The transformers I had had silver colored steel covers with non standard wire colors that looked similar to the colors shown in the picture here. There was a black and silver Audio Note sticker which had fallen off of one transformer. No numbers were on the transformers or the sticker. They were 5 to 10 years old when I got them. They resembled the transformers found in a Marshall guitar amp from the 80's, Maybe AN used the same vendor at the time mine were made. The transformers sold today could be totally different.

What is the asking price. Can you find a comparable transformer for a better price. Is the AN name important to you? Are you trying to build the amp exactly like Kondo specified? This is impossible, but you can try to get close.

Negative Bias

The negative bias cap I'm referring to is in between the 5687 and 211, it provides the negative voltage bias for the 211, it's marked with a + where it should be -
On the diagram it's part of the amplifier schematic and is supplied by the negative 200V rail.

I thought this would be obvious once pointed out, depends upon experience and knowledge I guess!

I suspect these are the basic, good ,IE core Audio Note transformers. Audio Note UK moved to C-core which are quite expensive and it's not using IE in any 211 /845 factory product although they sell it for the DIY community . If you check prices for this type of trans in old Sound Practices they were affordable (same with Tango , Tamura and others).
Good old days...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.