oneplustwo Aleph X build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A bridge for each winding gains you a few things -

More current capability on the bridges

Distributed heat compared to a single bridge

A reduction in transformer physical hum when current draws change

Can you link to the PSU board you are using? I would like to see a closer photo of it.

Here's the link: Heavy Duty CRC Power Supply Kit for Class A Ampllifier | eBay

So I think you're saying get four rectifiers, one for each winding, and parallel the outputs to the board? That makes sense to me if I'm going to go through the trouble of doing this in the first place. Just need to make sure i wire to the board properly.

I assume I can just leave the original rectifiers... They will basically act like shorts in this case, correct?

I'll go ahead and thermal paste them anyway to see if that cools them down appreciably as well. Not optimistic though.

just pull them out. then you short the pads for 2 of the 4 rectifiers.
like this:

Here's the link: Heavy Duty CRC Power Supply Kit for Class A Ampllifier | eBay

So I think you're saying get four rectifiers, one for each winding, and parallel the outputs to the board? That makes sense to me if I'm going to go through the trouble of doing this in the first place. Just need to make sure i wire to the board properly.

I assume I can just leave the original rectifiers... They will basically act like shorts in this case, correct?

I'll go ahead and thermal paste them anyway to see if that cools them down appreciably as well. Not optimistic though.

Attachments

• DSC00319.JPG
    DSC00319.JPG
    830.6 KB · Views: 146

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
So I think you're saying get four rectifiers, one for each winding, and parallel the outputs to the board?

No, you only need 2.

Parallel 2 of your windings two times, to get the transformer connected as intended.

Now you should have (2) 18v windings of 400VA each. Put a bridge on each.

No. Remove them.

It's worth a shot, but 15A diodes will not last long in that circuit even if cooled by submersion in a mountain stream... :) :) :)

@6L6 - Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. I was confused by "a bridge for each winding."

@AudioSan - your description is much simpler!

Thanks to both for your help! Much appreciated!

Now... to decide which rectifiers to get. Not sure I'm a believer in the super fancy ones, but then I haven't tried them before. I'm inclined to just the cheap 35A fairchild ones. Open to suggestions. Even the expensive ones aren't all that expensive I guess compared to the dollars I have in heat sinks alone!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That has always been a question of mine as well... There has to be something, if there wasn't why wouldn't all diodes be 1000v??

I honestly don't know. I'm sure there is a discussion about it somewhere... I will ask my Guru when I get a chance also.

@toufu - PM sent. Good to see a fellow San Franciscan on diyaudio!

@6L6 - Let me know if you find anything out. I'll probably just go ahead and order the 200V ones. Go with the devil you know and all.

Unless someone has 4 they have lying around they'd like to part with. Pet peeve paying more for shipping than the parts are worth! Too bad there's not amazon Prime for bridge rectifiers. :)

6L6 - For the snubber caps, is .22uF critical? I have some that wima 1uF 100V caps and a few that are .1uF as well in the parts bin. I'll just order new ones if I need to... they're not that much anyway. Just feels good to use spare parts! =)

Also, could I use different ones for different rectifiers? Seems like a somewhat less than critical part where I can get away with that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.