One more TDA1541A DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I-V converter from rbroer's "Less simple I/V for TDA1541"

Hello jimhu

Wat schematic did you use, the first one from the thread?

I have build a 4 trannie RBroers I/V based on Jocko's in a tda1541A Non os CD 640 with Tent XO or sometimes Kwak 7.

Sound impression of I/V: Sound is more forward, tight bass, highs are good, but the reverberation sounds from recordings are not as good obvious anymore as with the NE5532 opams!! The 5532 has more deep bass also, but has some distorsion in treble, the discrete I/V not. And with 4 trannie I/V there seems to be a harsness in continuing tones. Maybe the harshness wil get away by adding a LP filter after the dac and/or a good PS? (I/V now on +/-15 V supply of opamps.

I didn't use the servo and output voltage is quite stable. Compared with simple I/V, this schematic doesn't need the output coupling capacitor and should be better.

I also found out the sound is cleaner using I2S input than receiver(CS8412). I highly recommend to use I2S input directly. In my setup, the DAC is a stand along unit and the length of I2S cable is around 30cm. Even though I2S cable should be kept as short as possible, I didn't find any problem.

Jim Hu

sound is cleaner using I2S

I have read that more often here on diy, so am working with I2S now, though have a CS8414 at hand from schuro.de

Will try the 8414 in future with a very small 1 bit CS4340 dac, or a pair of PCM56. But what i don't like of the CS4340 is the probably NE5532-like including output stage.

supposed to be a servo...........looks like something is missing

Yes Jocko, i have a servo in my hybrid poweramp with some extra parts (caps), works as an integrator and amplifies only below +/- 1 Hz. IMO this 627 servo could only work proper with a good regulated PS, but it is regulated. Still an expensive servo, my amp has a cheapo TL741, and works fine.

The Simple I/V i am trying now has 3.3 uF Ropel MKP coupling caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.