• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

(one more) ALEPH P 1.7 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The clone vs the original. Some questions.

Adjustable gain:
So in the original pass labs production aleph p1.7 there were two knobsand pots for left and right gain. Where these just 10k attenuators on the input, or where they variable resitance ithe circuit itself to adjust the gain level? How is that adjustable gain control accompished with the veteran boards?

Volume control:
Im considering heavily the twisted pear stepped attenuator. I like that it has a classic feel 300degree pot and i dont want to get to fancy with a display. A nice big knob on a pot sounds good to me. How is the twisted pear joshua tree attenuator? Is the stock setup/bom adequate for the aleph p1.7? Is it well suited to this project and how well and how quietly does it perform? I anticipate the clicking from the relays, but is there any noise in the circuit from the clicking? How responsive is the attenuator? Would a 5k quad alma pot be a better choice?

Input selector:
What would be needed for a simple effective relay based input selector? Can a rotary knob be wored to a 12 v dc power supply and sent to a series of dpdt relays to switch on left and right inputs to select source? Would a relay close immediatly upon removal of voltage? Would there be a slight delay when applying voltage? I imagine i would need the relays to close before the next set open (break before make) or would i need the input selectioto be make before break if i want quiet switching of sources

Thanks
Your newbie friend, andrew

Aleph p power supply umbilical.

So im thinking i will separate the transformers for the aleph channels and the power for the relay based source switching, and put these three distinct power supplies into a seperate enclosure so that i can stack my preamp on/near my pearl2 phono stage without worry of hum/noise pickup. As you can imagine there are some logistical challenges in doing so, amd some choices to make. Can you help me make the best choices? This is taking some effort.. I want it to be elegant and have a high-end professional appearance.

One connector or three?
Speakon 8c, xlr 7pin, or three powercon?
One 8core wiire, or three shielded pairs in one nylon jacket?

Transformed Ac through the umbilical or rectified dc?

Forget separate boxes and get mu shielding and separate the transformers in the box.?

Id love your thoughts. This aleph p certainly is a new challenge for me. Im a pharmacist not an engineer, so id love your help guys! Safe effective and elegant is my goal!

Thoughts!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.