One Cubic Foot Tapped Horn Challenge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need another subwoofer like I need another hole in my head...

But if that wasn't the case, I'd probably buy a pile of these:

Tang Band W4-992C 4" Subwoofer | 299-825

This is probably the first driver I've seen that's under 5" that could truly be called a "subwoofer"

There are some neat things you can do with this:
1) I was able to create a tapped horn with less than 3dB of ripple that has an F3 of 29hz

Patrick, I noticed this buy-out, 4" woofer last week and yesterday was working in Hornresp to model a small TH with it. Between my lack of knowledge, both in using Hornresp and design in general, I didnt come close to a flat response between 40-150 hz. I tried options with two and three of these drivers in series, moving various S and L sliders up and down. Do you mind sharing what area and length numbers you came up with to get a flat to 29hz? I built volvotredder's "6.5" TangBand folded TH" several months ago, and that supports my Frugal Horn 3's VERY nicely, both for 2.1 channel music and 5.1 movies. I may need to stick with copying and building designs from those smarter than I, as a designer, I suck! For fun, I am game for building a <1cf, "Micro Sub", or helper woofer if that is a more fitting description.
Search for posts by soho54, in his signature block is a link to his spread sheet that runs calcs for optimum measurements to input into hornresp, no trial and error! Used it last night after being frustrated approaching the problem the same way you did.

Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.