One "big" woofer or four "small"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry guys, You missing the point (use your head instead of criticizing negatively) about What I'm saying and discussing here with other forum members (and have some respect for the course of the matter being discussed. That's all I ask. Thanks).

The interest of having different weighting can be entered by each user and be flexible and variable each time, the comparison is done.
Let's say you want to save some money, then you give this parameter a bigger percentage.
Let's say it's quality, then give SPL bigger percentage.
Let's say it's the loudspeaker box size and/or footprint, you give parameter Volume(L) bigger percentage, and so on.

I still keep a pair of Monitor 10's for backup shop audio.

Loved the old Polk Audio Monitor and SDA series even the funky looking silver tweeters grew on me.
Polk Audio from the 80's would vote to use eight 6.5 inch woofers and a 15 inch passive radiator. :spin:

I remember that one. The SDA-SRS. It had huge crossover too. They also had 4 tweeters (Polk claimed only one tweeter operated above 15k, and then the other tweeters were progessively bought into the circuit based on power handling requirements) in a line array between the 2 rows of woofers. I had a pair loaned to me for a while driven by a Adcom GFA 555.

One day I drove the GFA-555 via a DBX-1DS compander trying to expand the dynamic range of the playback and the woofers hit their Xmax pretty fast. I tried to replace the woofers with some Peerless TP165R woofers I had around but the chassis would not match.

I wrote to "the man in the white lab coat" complaining about the limited capabilities of their woofers but got no reply.:p

PRs do have their benefits but I think (at least from the two comapritive tests I did) that bass reflex offers better transient response than a PR. PRs tend to go "bummm" more often.

For the record: We compared a ported 10" Peerless 831727 to one with a 12" Madisound Foam surround PR. Later used the same Madisound PR (I used blu tac as weight) with a pair of Focal 8" 8N515 and the ported version had better "impact". One can tune the port by having a few ports tune to different lenghts. Facing the port down helps reduce any chuffing heard.

The interest of having different weighting can be entered by each user and be flexible and variable each time, the comparison is done.
Let's say you want to save some money, then you give this parameter a bigger percentage.
Let's say it's quality, then give SPL bigger percentage.
Let's say it's the loudspeaker box size and/or footprint, you give parameter Volume(L) bigger percentage, and so on.

Now THIS makes sense. Sorry Inductor. I dont think all of got your drift at first at least I did not.

bass boost

Yep. Under the big tent of OPB things have changed, mostly for the better, but the country station EQ is excessive. In a noisy shop it doesn't matter but in the car I have the bass turned all the way down. The non-defeatable loudness contour in the Toyota "JBL" system just piles on the boom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.