One bar surround

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And thought this up (see pic) to make it perhaps easier to make a slim enclosure in an easy way....

Just heat up the area you want to work on with a gas furnice or paintgun (be carefull to heat it very slowly and use proper ventilation...) and hold in position until it is cooled down (water helps to cool quicker...)

This way I sealed the ends on the little ones, but in your case you can also use standard seal caps...

oops:

Attachments

• pvc project.jpg
    pvc project.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 195
Can't Legendaryfrog place an 'alpass network' on one channel (I believe two caps, two coils?) to create a bit of time delay?

I've seen this done to correct timing differences between drivers in multi-way systems....

One delayed channel should give some more 'spatial' effect, not?

Yes, I just looked up the article called 'Alpass-netwerken' in a dutch magazine called 'Hifi luidsprekers' from 'Elektuur' number 9...

Only thing it seems to be only used on minimalizing time differences between drivers in a two or three way cabinet...

And the graphs in the article appear to show it is frequency dependent (meaning it might not work on the whole frequency band).
But I guess the higher freqs will make the difference....

And the values are dependent on the dc ohms resitance of the speaker (in the schematic only one driver is shown, with the filter before the allpass network..So for two way's you would probably have to make two alpass networks, but only on one channel in your case...)

I only wonder if spatial effects will be percieved within the range of time delay an allpass can achieve...

If the two coils are 0.25mH (in the + and - leads to the driver) and the two caps are 7uF (cross-connected over the coils) the time delay starts at about 500hz and goes exponential to an 80uSec. difference at 10Khz....

If I have the time I can try what happens...have enough stuff here to build a proto, keep you posted...

Here's a picture from the first page of the article:

Attachments

• allpass.jpg
    allpass.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 136
That will give a phase shift. Low freqs will be delayed by up to 90 deg, high freqs will lead by up to 90 deg.

At the turnover freq, that network will place a very low load z on the amp. ie 2 series tuned ccts in parallel, especially if the driver goes o/c.
I'll pass on that experiment.

Geoff.

v-bro, thanks for doing my footwork. Your suggested link was close,
a link on that page was the target.

Try this one: sound.westhost.com/project18.htm

Figure 1 is what I was trying to describe. A fifth speaker can be connected to the junction of the rear speakers, and common, as a centre front.

The rear speakers don't need to be high powered, nor have a wide fr.

80 hz to 12K is ample, unless you want to side fill a dance floor, or have a need to sit in a drum kit!

I don't know why this didn't come up when I searched for it. Maybe I spelt "Hafler" wrong.

It is quite effective btw, and you won't get cheaper.

The line level types are also good, providing more control. I had two controls on the one I used on the dance floor. Overall rear level, and blend.

legendaryfrog, can I suggest you try this with whatever speakers you have at hand, and experiment with the placement.

Geoff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.