Olympics Results!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's stuff more suitable for those funny little countries that we can't find on a map and where the women have unibrows. Real Sports are very under-represented.

This is a work of art, a masterpiece from a very well educated moderator!

Congratulations!

Can you please define "real sports"?

And because, you personaly, are not able to find these "funny little countries" on your map, this does not mean at all that these have no contribution to "un-funny big countries" and to the world in all aspects of everyday life, not to mention culture if you are familiar with this "funny" term.

As for "women with unibrows" let somebody else to speak who have visited these "funny little countries".

Regards,

Panos

My mother was an Olympic caliber diver back in the 1960's, and she was unable to go to the Olympics due to financial reasons. i.e., her family couldn't afford to send her. In yet other words, GDP has very little to due with a county's medal count. We do have some excellent training facilities, but if the athlete's family can't afford to send him or her there, the athlete will never have a chance to compete on the world stage. Instead of going on to compete in the Olympics, my mother ended up, with coach Greg Marsden, forming and competing with the US national champion University of Utah gymnastics team. Aint life funny?

Cheers,
Zach

Originally posted by panos29

This is a work of art, a masterpiece from a very well educated moderator!

Panos, I completely agree with the offence you take to such posts. Most Americans have not travelled outside their home state let alone their country, so they remain naive about how to behave in the presence of cultural differences. Europeans have it wayyy over the typical North American in such matters, less so for typical Canadians who IME tend to be more exposed and more travelled.

Can you please define "real sports"?

Sure. Baseball, basketball, football (real football, not that weenie soccer stuff), rugby, cricket, boxing. Softball and badmitton aren't sports, they're excuses for beer. Boules isn't a sport, it's an excuse for pastis. Golf isn't a sport, it's just an excuse for Scotch. Soccer isn't a sport, it's an activity for people without good eye-hand coordination. Track and field aren't sports, they're solitary vices.

Hunting would be a real sport if either the hunter were unarmed or if the animals were given Uzis.

To the plains of serengeti

"Most Americans have not travelled outside their home state let alone their country, so they remain naive about how to behave in the presence of cultural differences. Europeans have it wayyy over the typical North American in such matters, less so for typical Canadians who IME tend to be more exposed and more travelled."

Sounds like a very unbiased, well informed opinion to me.

SteveA

Google it

"so they remain naive about how to behave in the presence of cultural differences. Europeans have it wayyy over the typical North American in such matters, less so for typical Canadians who IME tend to be more exposed and more travelled"

Google must be an extremely capable search engine. It knows what your conclusions are based on Googling it.

SteveA

serengetiplains said:

Most Americans have not travelled outside their home state let alone their country, so they remain naive about how to behave in the presence of cultural differences. Europeans have it wayyy over the typical North American in such matters, less so for typical Canadians who IME tend to be more exposed and more travelled.

I, for one, am sick and tired of these negative blanket statements towards the US. I don't get on-line and rip on your respective countries. I personally have traveled to nearly every state in the US, and have been to Canada and Mexico quite a number of times. I haven't gone further due to financial reasons. But this is beside the point. People from every nationalitly have something to offer the world community. Also, every country has it's good and bad people. I realize that the US has been looking very bad on the world stage lately. Frankly, we deserve it. We have been bulldozing over other countries for decades now and the rest of the world is just getting ****ed. This is no reason, however, to say that all "Americans" are naive, boorish, privilaged, etc...... Frankly, I think that the US has a lot of people who each, individually, have much to offer the world. OK, who wants the soap box next?

Cheers,
Zach

Actually, I've found SY to be fairly well informed about a number of matters. On the surface, his recent preferences may leave much to be desired. When I re-read the posts, it occured to me that he may have been poking you all with a bit of satire.

Besides, we all know that the only real sport is Disc Ultimate.

:)ensen.

SY said:
Yeah, I need to travel more.

Boy, I'll say

purplepeople said:
Actually, I've found SY to be fairly well informed about a number of matters. On the surface, his recent preferences may leave much to be desired. When I re-read the posts, it occured to me that he may have been poking you all with a bit of satire.:)ensen.

Do ya think?

SY said:
Some Canadians actually have a sense of humor.
Ohhhh.... Vancouver.
Now I understand. EVERYTHING is funny to you guys.

Puff, puff. Not sure what ya mean dude.

Actually, I like two things about America.

1) Their leaders do enough unusual things to give the rest of the world a mitt full of ammo, if you will.

2) I am yet to meet an American I didn't like. I mean meeting them face to face, not through a forum where they hide their small penises behind big screens. (You know who you are.)

I am proud to have America as our largest ally even if I don't agree with some of the actions of the government.

I suggest that while the peoples of the world find themselves bashing Old Glory, that perhaps there is a moment of reflection needed. If you judge all by the actions of a few, then it is you who is guilty of ignorance, not the so-called under-educated Americans.

Getting there, for me, is easy. I am less than a half hour drive from Washington state and have enjoyed traveling it and Oregon and California. While I can't say the conversations were always stimulating, they did give me insight as to how warm and welcoming the Yanks are.

Now, if only they'd do something about their beer...

Then I'd have three things I like about them damn Yanks.

Cheers,
Cal

Bocce is the number 1 sport in my neighbourhood. A bottle of red in a brown bag, everyone sitting around argueing, now that's a sport.

Cal Weldon said:
... I am yet to meet an American I didn't like. I mean meeting them face to face, not through a forum where they hide their small penises behind big screens. (You know who you are.)

I like them too, especially since I have actual cousins that live there... California, Maryland and New Jersey. But I have to disagree on one part... I don't thing SY's screen is that big. :p

So the real question is: Does the host nation medal well because of pride or pesos?

The fact remains that the cash outlay for an Olympic Games is so huge that it's easy to divert some of it to the local sports programs, in the same way that Australia did. However, Canada doesn't foresee and increase in sports spending yet we still expect to do very very well in 2010 when the show comes to Vancouver-Whistler.

:)ensen.

Have fun with the Winter Games Purple. We had them here in Salt Lake City two years ago. It was really a lot of fun. Actually, I was working in the athlete's village doing backline support for the live stage and the nightclub. I met a lot of really great people from all over the world, and nationality just seemed to fade away in the spirit of competition.

Cheers,
Zach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.