Olivia Chang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so they're never going to do deep bass.

The only way you will get real bass with a small driver is TL/horn loading. Thats why i kinda gave up on SD with the 103/108. I couldnt sim any real bass without some kind of artifact (a response curve that stated "surfs up").
The A126 was right on the very edge of performance potential. My early expermients with the 103 showed that it just didnt have the energy required to move the air colume to a degree that i required.

ron

1v0

I'm very new to this board but have been into building modding audio for about 8 years and have some successful projects under my belt anywho,

its time to start playing in the shop again and I'm pretty sure i want to take on some of the Oliva's but i have a few questions probably mostly directed at scott

1 the plans are for version 0 and I have heard of big improvements for version 1 should I hold off? if so I'm quite good with cad and the like and if I could be of any assistance getting the drawings and what not done let me know.

2 any thoughts on planet10's mod FE126 is it worth the extra 100$ is there any other driver i should be looking at for the Oliva's

3 damping i know most of you use wool with good results but in the last few projects I have done I have been using this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-535&scqty=1 with most desirable results i was thinking some thing like a an 18" piece on the back wall and a small piece in the top and bottom of the "J" is this to much would i be better off just using wool on alternating panels? I'm not afraid of playing with it just would like your thoughts.

thanks very much for you time,
Dustin Pares

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: 1v0

Industrialsized said:
1 the plans are for version 0 and I have heard of big improvements for version 1 should I hold off?

Pre-release Version 2 (aka Venom) plans are available by request.

2 any thoughts on planet10's mod FE126 is it worth the extra 100$ is there any other driver i should be looking at for the Oliva's

I'm predudiced wrt 1st Q, but i figure all of the eN drivers are better value for the dollar than the stock drivers.

Olivia, Venom, Brynn, Gabrielle all work better with FE127e (FE127eN)

dave

thanks dave,

I'm too new of a member to email you but I would love to get my hands on a set of Venom plans my e-mail is industrialsized at gmail dot com lets get this started! I will be shopping for some "B" grade Baltic birch ply for these tomorrow.

just as a side note I'm thinking the best amp match that i have for these is my forte model 5 it has some stellar mids and warm highs and starts to roll off slightly on the low end. its 100wpc AB is this a reasonable choice? as i havent seen much talk about the gear behind BLH's

Dave's email addresses are available through the sites linked in his signiture: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/ (see 'Mail Us' tag)
http://www.frugal-horn.com/contact.html http://www.t-linespeakers.org/ (see mail link, bottom right)

Yes, the modified units are a major step forward from the stock.

Venom should be an improvement over the Olivia box. It's designed for the 127; 126 is best avoided for these cabinets. Amplifier has far more power than these need -about 5wpc is ample. Many people into FR units tend to favour valve amplifiers, class a SS designs, some of the class T digital amps & the odd gainclone, as they generally tend to make a good natural match to the drivers, although you can basically run anything you like with a little creativity. From your description, that Forte sounds like it rolls the LF & HF off a bit -pity. The latter isn't a bad idea at all IMHO, but rolling the bass off probably won't do these many favours as speakers with 4 1/2in FR drivers usually don't have a whole lot to start off with. Certainly be worth a shot though -you may find you like it.

Thanks for the help guys,

are the Venom's a big upgrade? I know how subjective what I am about to ask is but what do you think the best BLH is? im looking for a pair of speakers that will integrate well with a sub for use in a small study that I can spend 5 to 10 hours a week listening to and be happy with, I know everybody says i listening to all kinds of music but here goes that line again mostly chamber symphony or jazz trios. I'd be happy spending 600$ if I need to spend more that's just the way it is. am I looking in the right direction?

hind sight being 30/30 and all perhaps this would have been the first question to ask

thanks again,
Dustin Pares

Perhaps what I should have asked in my previous posts, is the 127en 126en one of the better/best drivers to build around? I understand there isn't a "perfect answer" for this but if you wher to build/have built a full range horn what would you build if YOU personally decided to shell out the $$ and have in your living room every day when you came home.

Dustin Pares

Howdy Industrialized, the FE126E and FE127E are good drivers to work with. They are very different from each other.

Since you mention that (a) you're in a small room, (b) you listen to chamber music and jazz trios, (c) you're going to use a sub, there are lots of enclosures that will work with these drivers (especially for the FE127E). The 127's are really easy to work with, while the 126's take more effort (but have plenty of charm). Either way, they require a sub in my opinion (opinions vary on that).

In terms of "best," I can only say that I found the FE127eN to be "better" than some larger, more expensive drivers for my particular purposes (small room with a sub). You really have to decide with your own ears. In a small room, with a sub, at reasonable volumes, they are what I listen to on a daily basis. (I'm a newb though.)

are the Venom's a big upgrade?[/B]

I cite my previous comment. 'Venom should be an improvement over the Olivia box.'

I know how subjective what I am about to ask is but what do you think the best BLH is?

I don't, because there's no such thing. Any answer would by nature be meaningless.

I'm looking for a pair of speakers that will integrate well with a sub for use in a small study that I can spend 5 to 10 hours a week listening to and be happy with, I know everybody says i listening to all kinds of music but here goes that line again mostly chamber symphony or jazz trios. I'd be happy spending 600$ if I need to spend more that's just the way it is.

If you're not listening at huge SPLs than the smaller FR units should do you for that sort of material. I'd add a second sub though (I hate single subs -you can't integrate them properly unless crossed in very low).

Perhaps what I should have asked in my previous posts, is the 127en 126en one of the better/best drivers to build around?

See my previous remark about 'best'. Working on your above-stated requirements, they should be quite well-suited.

Industrialsized said:
what do you think the best BLH is?

is the 127en 126en one of the better/best drivers to build around?

Man, talk about a loaded question...
BTW, how long is a piece of string? :)

Just joking, I understand you're looking for opinions.
Mine are that
1) I agree w/ rjbond3rd that the only way to know what you like is to hear different drivers in different cabs.
2) I'm in the minority in that I don't care for 127en 126en that much, prefer 108s & Jordan 92s for drivers in that size/price range, & that they have very low WAF @ my house; were pronounced "why bother" when I mentioned I had planned to build something with them...

now that i have one project well underway lets talk sub(s)

im thinking yet again DIY because subs are the super easiest things in the world to build.

I have been looking at the exodus audio shiva-X 12" in a sealed 3.2cf box and two of them! http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24_93_150&products_id=653

there cheap and i think they will integrate well

before i sold most of my speakers i was using 2 adire audio shiva 12's with 85L ported boxes that they had plans for on there site and was very very happy bud never did like the nearly constant port noise and i have certainly heard more "musical" subs but they did great for the under 600$ that i spent on them.

any thoughts or comments would be awesome but I am partial to pairs of subs as phazing and delay don't scare me.

thanks for the time,
Dustin Pares

Isn't there a time alignment problem with a horn and conventional drivers (i.e. the output from a horn is time delayed)? Normally this is handled in the crossover (delay on midrange and tweeter), but since the main speaker needs a delay, it doesn't seem possible in this case.

what are you referring to as a "horn?"

a back loaded horn?
and the output from the horn part, compared to the output to the front of the driver?
yup, there's a time alignment problem, some people claim they can't hear it, but it bothers me on some material, not on others.

or using front loaded horns?
i physcally time align them; "like to keep things in the analoge realm" in the words of Bruce Edgar.

or something else i'm not seeing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.