Oldest amp you still use?

It's a UK manufactured Rogers Ravensbrook Series III from 1973, which is still being used for testing purposes in my Man Shed.

Attachments

• Rogers Ravensbrook Series III.jpg
    Rogers Ravensbrook Series III.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 294
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Marantz 2325. Recently fully rebuilt. It makes a nice FM radio, easy to use and looks like a 747. Sounds OK, a bit "dark" for my taste.

Now, how about a thread about the NEWEST amp?

And a thread about the LATEST amp added to the collection?

BTW, I saw that old thread about rebuilding an SP-10. I don't get it, why spend all that time and you can't get belts for that table?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Now, how about a thread about the NEWEST amp?

ACAmini that Nelson built for me. Still sitting on top of the SIT-3 driving the big MTMs. That good. Once the full kit gets to the store i expect it to outsell ACA. Trying to figure how you would put together a stack of them for multi-ampling something.

dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
ACAmini that Nelson built for me. STill sitting on top of the SIT-3 driving the big MTMs. That good. Once the full kit gets to the store i expect it to outsell ACA. Trying to figure how you would put together a stack of them for multi-ampling something.

dave

Nice...

I got some of them ACA, upgraded to 1.8.

They sound very good, but even running bridged they have somewhat sloppy bass control on my ADS L810s -my only speakers efficient enough.

Even an F5, would just a "few more watts" has far better bass control.

I'm beginning to believe that, with Class A at least, all other things being equal, the more powerful the amplifier the better the bass control. I really need to think about it... could it be that adding more devices in parallel helps the damping? Lower output impedance?

Going from the A5 monos to the A2 monos, on the Maggies, was not even subtle. At the same listening levels, the bass is much deeper and tighter.

BTW. MTMs are nice. I "built" -sort of- one such set by stacking (one upside down) two pairs of english mini-monitors. It actually sounded fantastic but it was a PITA to live with: two matched stereo tube amps, biwired each speaker. I could drive them as MTTM, dipoles, omnis, you name it... only a neurotic audiophile would do that -that I am-. The problem was solved by going to line source Maggies.

Last edited:
Daily a modified Yamaha A6-A, from '82 (I think).
The oldest (probably) an HA-330 amplifier, used for a few months until I gave it to a friend.
Or the HA-410 from my stack of amplifiers, recently repaired for a friend.
A few years ago a TRIO (also very old) but I no longer remember the exact model. I gave it to a college friend.

I coulda had bragging rights for an amp I built all the way back in 1978 or 79, but unfortunately I gutted it and took its power transformer for a newer project. Sigh... The amp was a bastard clone of the Leach amp built with whatever parts I could scam back in Ithaca, NY. Poly Paks were involved., as well as some GE transistor samples, and some MJ802 and MJ4502 that I bought used from a local repair guy. The PCB was thrown together using rub-on resist pads and Rub-a-Dub laundry marker to fill out the traces. That amp went with me from Ithaca to Cali, and served me faithfully though most of the 90's.

Reactions: 2 users