Old transistor amp design - opinions please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I have found an old amp design in a book published in 1974* and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or opinions what this would sound like if I made it. I am not sure I would be able to make it though, as I tried to find some of the transistors online and they seem to be obsolete.

Any input welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

David.

* "Set Up Your Own Hi-Fi: A Beginner's Guide" by R.H. Warring; Lutterworth Press, Guilford and London;1974. ISBN 0718819845.

Attachments

• 20120320AmpDesign.jpg
    20120320AmpDesign.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 304
often people dig out circuits like that and treat them as a hidden or forgotten treasure ...sorry to say they are not ... bias problems slow not enough power stability issues

even if made properly don't expect a "nice nostalgic" sound to come out of it .... do your shelf a favor and built a P3A will kick the hell out of the geriatric amplifier from every aspect

kind regards
sakis

often people dig out circuits like that and treat them as a hidden or forgotten treasure ...sorry to say they are not ... bias problems slow not enough power stability issues

even if made properly don't expect a "nice nostalgic" sound to come out of it .... do your shelf a favor and built a P3A will kick the hell out of the geriatric amplifier from every aspect

kind regards
sakis

Ha, well I can imagine there are plenty of people who will think like that! I had / have no pre-conceptions about the circuit though, hence my original question. I shall have a search for this P3A - thanks for the advice!

This circuit has one startling feature; the way in which the reverse phase drive to the quasi is set up. It differs fundamentally from the JLH in this area, and that makes it interesting, as the approach used - a common base drive off the VAS - is novel.

However, it has a downside in that it then becomes bound up with setting the quiescent, and some wag has given it a sliding bias arrangement which actually works the wrong way. If the sliding bias mechanism were removed somehow, it might actually sound very, very good.

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.