Old School Orion 2350GX Anyone have tech info?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amp has isolated primary and secondary grounds. When you unplugged the RCAs, the secondary ground was disconnected from the primary ground. That's why you read 0v.

The opto-coupler has connections to both the primary and the secondary. That's why you have to connect the small black wire (secondary ground wire) to the main ground.

The two for muting are indicated by the arrows.

Attachments

• IMG_9230x.jpg
    IMG_9230x.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 70
The amp seems to be working now!!!
w/15 amp fuse, both speakers seemed to be loud and clear.
After hooking the amp back up in the car I must have done something wrong because now both channels sound great individualy but with the balance centered the subs seem to drop in volume and loose there bottom end. any idea's?

Perry Babin is an Amp Repair GOD!!! Everything seems to be working fine(pic#1).
I just need to put the wiring looms covers back on to clean up the look. You were correct; one of the subs must have been out of phase although I think it may be in the box. I triple checked the speaker wires and they are all correct going to the box.

Is there a way to check the box's terminals with a meter to tell what side of the speaker is going where or do I just pull the subs and look?_
Or should I be using the mono low pass output(pic#2 ) since one of the outputs is inverted?_

I am not trying to be lazy here; it’s just that they are behind a false wall when viewing from the trunk/outside. It is there so when hauling stuff it cannot contact and hurt the speakers, and to the untrained eye, you cannot see anything.

This has been a great learning experience for me, I learned a lot on your website, and it is a great reference for us "Electronically challenged" people. I do have to say nothing teaches better than doing it. There were things that I read that made no sense until I was testing those parts "hands on", it was then that I could start to grasp how it operated.
Again, thank you so much.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 83
Back Again. The amp is still running but I have noticed that the right channel(the repaired one) is not producing full power. I have switched the RCA's to verify that one channel wasn't getting a stronger signal but that wasn't it. So I switched the subs to see if that may have had something to do with it, but still the same result. After running the amp at about 1/3 power for 5-10min the left half is noticably warmer to the touch than the right channel. Right channel seems to have about 1/2 to 2/3 the power that the left channel is producing. since this amp is actually two 2 channel amps bridged, I'm starting to think only one of the 2 channels is working on the right channel.

I checked the gain pots again and both channels are getting 1v input.
any idea's anyone_?

Last edited:
Back Again. The amp is still running but I have noticed that the right channel(the repaired one) is not producing full power. I have switched the RCA's to verify that one channel wasn't getting a stronger signal but that wasn't it. So I switched the subs to see if that may have had something to do with it, but still the same result. After running the amp at about 1/3 power for 5-10min the left half is noticably warmer to the touch than the right channel. Right channel seems to have about 1/2 to 2/3 the power that the left channel is producing. since this amp is actually two 2 channel amps bridged, I'm starting to think only one of the 2 channels is working on the right channel.

I checked the gain pots again and both channels are getting 1v input.
any idea's anyone_?

I've got two of these amps on the bench. Both had a leaky transistor that controls the amplitude voltage driving the bases of the power supply switching transistors. It would produce a high output voltage which stressed the filter caps and cause that half to run warm.
Perry might be able to elaborate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.