old radio cabinet antirestoration - old empty box new insides

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
re-installed the clothed baffle, here's a terrible photo from the front.

CIVcGIS.jpg

sub box isn't going to be super easy, but should be doable. The 2 X 15 watt amp doesn't have much oomph, will probably use a 2 X 50 watt module which means finding a 24 - 30 volt power supply. then fixing up some kind of volume cotnrol, which I could incorporate the downmixer into I guess.

Had a chance to build the sub box, just made it to the same volume as the HT one, the shape is quite different, no idea if this will affect how it sounds much but this sub sounds rubbish compared to my cobbled together car sub I made years ago anyway.

Due to the short depth of the box I had to space the port off the back of the box and cut and cover a hole on the front of the box, there is about 15mm of clearance from the port to the front baffle extension, should work OK i guess.

I was going to add more bracing but I'm hoping the two front to back supports will be enough, I used a similar construction (12mm plywood but a bit more bracing) in the sub box in my pickup and it works fine at much louder volumes than this will get too, and it is a sealed box.

I have since given it a brush coat of black, planning on putting the stuffing where it fits, half behind the driver and the other half cut in half stuffed up the top on the sides. I sleeved the speaker cable in the sheath of some cheap rope to reduce rattling.

the white stuff on the inside is silicone gap filler, pretty sure the glue will do the job fine but I was sealing up the cable passthrough and decided to do the corners of the box too.

BuMeKcl.jpg

lLw2FCV.jpg

gaVboSm.jpg

3blFaUE.jpg

and a shot from the rear with the box in place, I remember this sub being OK in the HT system it came from, but powering it from my stereo it doesn't have any more bass extension than my floor standing speakers. it definitely helps the speaker in the radio though, just need to add a LP filter to it some day, might just use a parallel capacitor as the low pass I bought from ebay doesn't seem to work.

also ordered some cloth sheathed power cord that I will rewire a powerboard with, the powerboard will sit on a shelf above the sub box and run the amplifier, bluetooth, phone charger and whatever else ends up in there.

cloth covered cord arrived, rewired a powerboard with it which was timely as one of the neutral wires was pressed down hard on the outlet earth strip and the earth wire was clamped by a screw. yikes!

added some stops to prevent the sub hitting stuff, made a plywood shelf and cable tied all the various bits to it. still need to work out a way to mount the volume pot and make a stereo - twin mono converter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.