Old Pioneer amps.quality as good as today?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marantz model 170dc

Well I've been hunting for some older amps and although I've dissed the idea of biamping I still want to use an older amp.
I ran across a Marantz model 170dc that's in pretty good shape at a pawn shop. I did some searches on the net for some info on it but couldn't find too much. The few that I did find , people generally liked it and thought it was conservatively rated. 86 wpc in 8 ohms. Has anyone got some opinions regarding this find?
Just a reminder from my original post... I was looking at selling my Acurus 5 channel home theater amp and replacing it with multiple stereo amps from the 70's maybe early 80's.
Anyone know this amp and is familiar with it?

Thanks guys.

Dave.

anatech said:
Hi Dave,
Yes, I am familiar with it. It's a very good amplifier, little brother to my 300DC. Pretty thing isn't it?

How much (I'm thinking you should buy it)?

-Chris

Hi Chris, I just found out that the unit is pretty mint and well cared for, they are just waiting for police clearance on the piece before they can release it. They quoted me $229 Cdn. do you think that sounds about the right price for that unit?
I'm just wondering how these perform in regards to soundstaging and detail compared to something that I'm using now. The Acurus is infinitely more powerful but I realize that power isn't everything.
Also all sales are final at a pawn shop but they said the amp has been completely checked out.

What'dya think?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
Grab it then. I've seen older amps go for more.

To really make it sing, rebuild it and replace most of the small caps. Especially do the ceramics. It should sound really nice when you are done. I've mostly seen 300DC's floating around.

If you need a hand with it, give me a call.

-Chris

Bought the 170 dc

Well I finally purchased the Marantz 170dc. What a sweet looking unit. Perfect condition with the exception of a small mark on the right volume pot. Otherwise excellent.
One problem... When I demoed the unit at the pawn shop it sounded OK but after I brought it home, cleaned it up and hooked it up, I get a crackling sound like it wants to get going but just can't. I turn up the volume a few times on the pre then it kicks in and cuts out again. It isn't until about a half hour later that everything is OK again. It's like an old car that needs to warm up before running good.
But boy when it is running OK does it ever sound sweet!
I never use to get mids and highs lilke this with my old multichannel amp. Very warm sound yet very detailed. Me likes very much.
What to do about the warm up/ crackling sound issue? Is this a capacitor issue??
Do I leave it on all the time? I'm just worried that I will burn out the bulbs prematurely. I would very much appreciate some input on this if anyone has any.

Just as a side note I also bought an old B&K 140st that was seriously modified with better wire, caps, binding posts and a larger transformer. Also the entire enclosure was damped with this cork material :confused: I thought that it sounded great really sweet on the top... until I brought home the Marantz :eek:

Thanks for the help

Dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
I know how to make that Marantz really sing. ;)

You very probably have bad solder joints and possibly some iffy transistors. The relay may also need replacing depending on it's condition.

It needs a good going over and will be even better if done right. A bad job can make a real mess out of it. I rebuilt my 300DC a little while ago. It made a very positive difference. You need to get that amp into the hands of a really good, careful technician.

-Chris

Edit: Whatever you do, do not leave it on all the time!

anatech said:
Hi Dave,
I know how to make that Marantz really sing. ;)

You very probably have bad solder joints and possibly some iffy transistors. The relay may also need replacing depending on it's condition.

It needs a good going over and will be even better if done right. A bad job can make a real mess out of it. I rebuilt my 300DC a little while ago. It made a very positive difference. You need to get that amp into the hands of a really good, careful technician.

-Chris

Edit: Whatever you do, do not leave it on all the time!
Hi Chris,
Don't know if my private message got over to you OK or not.
I'm curious, why wouldn't you leave the amp on all the time? I was told by a few people that leaving them on is better than turning them on and off all the time. I could disconnect the bulbs?? Just a thought.
Anyway... I'm interested in you having a look at this thing. Georgetown isn' t that far from Windsor I believe.
If you like you could send me an email on what your thoughts are on this and maybe a rough idea on costs. I believe this amp is a keeper and it is worth whatever to make sure it is done right. You are right, I wouldn' t want just anyone messing with it.
I would maybe drive the amp over to you?
If this amp can sound any sweeter than what it is now, I'd be impressed.

Thanks

Dave.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
I did get your PM, thanks. You are more then welcome by if you wish. Costs would be determined by how much you want done and what the condition of your amp is in.
If this amp can sound any sweeter than what it is now, I'd be impressed.
Yup. It will. We are starting with a good design.
I'm curious, why wouldn't you leave the amp on all the time? I was told by a few people that leaving them on is better than turning them on and off all the time.
The life of your amplifier is determined by temperature and run time (excluding operation outside of it's design parameters). There is no need to leave it on, it settles down quickly. Early Bryston amps gave that myth a big push. They had bias circuit problems and a weak power switch. They sounded really bad until they warmed up. Solution (from Bryston), leave them on. That was especially irresponsible since there was no speaker disconnect in the event of a fault. Not even a speaker fuse. So don't leave your stuff running, it's not very intelligent. Also, if something needs that long to stabilize, it never will stabilize. Ever.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.