old alpine 7903e pre amp hu problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
damage said:

I had a CDX-R88. Biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. Never bought a Sony after that one. I loved the look and feel, would love to have a unit just like it. But as a functional unit, it sucked.

I should say, results may very.
I would have to agree in some part. The CDX r88 had a quality control issue. About a third of them seemed to have gremlins in them. Kept blowing out a transistor in the brain. Over, and over, and over... Same parts. But then on some, no problems at all. Then you would have some that put "/" marks on the discs. Could never figure out what was causing it. Cleaned rollers, and still marked them up. Looked like x's criss crossing all over it. I still have 2 of them from back then. One with the transistor the blows out once every few months (when it was in use) , and the other never had problems. Used it for about 10 years. I would say this is the model where the quality control issue started with Sony. Before this, Sony worked for the most part "great". At least for me. But when the Alpine 7903 came out, it became the KING of all cd units. Everyone that had a system wanted one.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,
My favorite head unit was the Denon DCC-8970 (?) for CD, and I paired that with a Nakamichi TD-700 Tuner / Cassette deck. I also have a McIntosh MX-401 (?) still. Those smaller Sony CD transports seemed to be reliable. I have set up many, and that makes a big difference. The only thing I'd change about the Denon machine would be to improve the D/A section.

I haven't had too many problems with the equipment I've used. That's the great thing about being a technician. You get to see and try before you buy.

-Chris

Chris, remember when Denon used "match your dash light color" as a sales tool for their head units?

They sold little colored condoms to go over the bulbs. You had to pull the nose off and stretch the tiny rubbers over the bulbs without breaking the leads or the condom. What a pain just to do a HU install.

Though I was a real fan of their flagship turntables and home cassette decks, I never gave their car CD's a fair listen afterwards. One particular CD was troublesome as well, but given my disposition, I don't remember the model...

I still have my TD-700, unchallenged favorite of all cassette decks. Even better than my brother's TD-1200, because mine always worked! He still has his 1200, too.

The 700's preamp was very sweet and IIRC, used 4558's!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tsmith1315,
They sold little colored condoms to go over the bulbs.
Yep. I did a fair amount of colour change work. I still have some for my machines and also used them for other products. It was a great idea, one that should have continued.

My TD-700 was / is working at peak performance. However, a TD-1200 or 1200II will blow it's doors off. Those machines are truly amazing.

Even better than my brother's TD-1200, because mine always worked!
Sadly, that means his unit was not properly serviced. Either that or the installation stinks. I have been able to have these running equal to the Nak home cassette machines. The tuner on these is killer too!

Most technicians do not fully service a machine. His capstan bearings are replaceable, like the TD-700 as well. A rebuild started here and every bit of mechanical alignment is done. After that, the electronic alignment was fairly easy. The automatic azimuth works extremely well! This had to be the very best car cassette deck ever manufactured by anyone - ever!

I no longer have my tapes and jigs, so I can not set these up any more.

-Chris

Sadly, that means his unit was not properly serviced.

A 1200II, I think he sent it to Nak for service twice.

The automatic azimuth works extremely well! This had to be the very best car cassette deck ever manufactured by anyone - ever!

Absolutely, alone in it's class. Maybe I'll trade him something for it...

But good tapes are getting hard to find. Have a source?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tsmith1315,
A 1200II, I think he sent it to Nak for service twice.
Nak US are not as good as they used to be. It's possible they even farm it out. You need to find an old Authorized Warranty technician. If he is still in the shop, great. The technician is what is important.

But good tapes are getting hard to find. Have a source?
No, but they were designed for TDK-SA and SAX. The Nakamichi tape they sold was TDK-SA, but from the center of the sheet with close quality control. The higher grade Nak Ref tape was the TDK-SAX

Maxell is a good tape, but the highs will come back about +5 dB. Handy to know when your heads are wearing out.

-Chris

Sounds like the molex plug has been cut off.

Pink/white is mute, and was provided for integration with in-car cell phones. I never used it, but am pretty sure it required +V to mute. I can look it up in the old Product Guide if you're interested.

Light blue/white i believe is remote out, darker blue on the other side of the molex.

2 brown/white wires were actually connected together at the molex. Apply +12V here to pause the unit. Usually, +5V was enough for these switching fuctions in the old Alpines.

Does this unit have a DIN connector for a changer?

anatech said:

No, but they were designed for TDK-SA and SAX. The Nakamichi tape they sold was TDK-SA, but from the center of the sheet with close quality control. The higher grade Nak Ref tape was the TDK-SAX

-Chris

Was the TD700 also designed with the TDK tape in mind? I had good results with TDK-SA and Maxell XLIIS, recorded on a Nak LX5.
Maxells did seem a bit hotter, which I liked as a youngster. Now that *my* head is wearing out, the TDK sounds like a better option to search for.

tsmith1315 said:

Pink/white is mute, and was provided for integration with in-car cell phones. I never used it, but am pretty sure it required +V to mute. I can look it up in the old Product Guide if you're interested.

Yep, apply +12V on pink/white to engage the mute function.

No din plug for stacker i don't have a plug on the harness so it must of been cut. I don't think the light blue/white is for remote because it has a darker one too. Also is see that i can get a replacement laser assembly for the7909 I've seen pictures of the CDM form the the 7909 and they look identical. Dose anyone know if they are the same

Alpine provided two remote outputs- a solid blue, and a blue with white stripe.

One output is for power antenna (solid blue, IIRC) and the other is for amplifier turn-on. Both function the same, the antenna lead may have a lower current limit.

AFAIK, the 7903/04/09 used the same laser.

The Alpine part# for the 7903/4 optical pickup is 88T15309W01

Is the price reasonable?

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 87
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.