Okay... Building guitar speaks... What should I look for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bogie said:
She's already got a little practice amp, and she is playing with some friends... Not accomplished, but hey...

Best way to learn, it's what it's all about!.

Probably gonna also pick up an el-cheapo mixer too... I'm buying some small pro speaks, and we'll see how a few on each side sounds...

Bear in mind, you can't usually plug a guitar directly into a mixer, wrong impedances! - although you do see occasional ones with a 'guitar input'. Easiest way is to use an active DI box, I use the Behringer DI20 (which is a double one), but you could also build a simple FET preamp (one FET and a couple of resistors and capacitors).

Here's me:

Guitar>POD>EMU 1212M>KRK Rockit 8s.

Very, very good sound. The POD does amp modeling and has some decent effect. The chain has balanced connections from the POD onwards.

I've gone from some of the inexpensive Crate half stacks while gigging about 15 years ago, to a Roland JC120, but the above setup is completely satisfying for practicing by myself.

I've also played through:

Guitar>Y cable>Audiolab 8000Q>Odyssey Audio Stratos Plus> Dynaudio Audience 50s and I could crank it to levels that my old JC120 would achieve.

I must say that I really liked the JC120 for practicing with a band though...back then I used a Korg A3 for effects.

Ok, I guess I didn't even answer your question..LOL. Sorry.

Probably stating the obvious, but.. if you ever feel like putting anything together in a couple hours for her (as a gift or whatever), here's a site with a bunch of schematics for classic stompbox designs .. I've built a couple of the simpler ones and they sounded mighty good.

http://www.christianmusicweb.com/schematics/

The 'Electra Distortion' box couldn't be simpler (one transistor, three resistors, two caps) and sounds mighty fine, sort of like a mild overdrive sound that I really liked. Use 1N4001 diodes for best sound; anything else will make it too fuzzy.

I've also tried the MXR Distortion+ (a classic) which was lots of fun, and a bit more complex. Also the Fuzz Face, but that one's a bit of a 'one-trick pony' IMvHO.

Also the Big Muff and Muff Fuzz, the latter isn't really worth anyone's time as it's just too primitive and sounds like sh**. The Big Muff isn't at all bad, but I don't usually need that much distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.