Official M2 schematic

Took out left and right fuse in turn. No difference to the fused side, same hum. So the toroids are radiating equal amounts to their driven side??.
By disconnecting pcb ground?

I guess running one channel at a time eliminates ground loops and lifting the ground should't be any different.

Best bet will be to take your time getting the transformer output shorted to ground.:emoticon:

I had to pull some of the caps on each side anyhow to get to the pcps so I added shielding for the input trafos and as I was using mic cable on inputs I disconnected the shield from the input side so now the input cable shield is not connected either side. Still have hum, unchanged. Shielding the input trafos changed nothing. My Altec compression drivers are very effective so if there is hum I will hear it. Its to much for late night listening. Will play around with this in the coming days. Its a powersupply problem. Im going to do simple things like reroute the 230v supply, move rectifier bridges further from the pcbs and see if that has some influence on hum. Dont think its a ground loop.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Asking because I dont know. Can I measure ( or estimate ) powersupply ripple with multimeter?. Or do I need an oscilloscope.

with speakers efficient as yours , every detail in wiring is important

can you post a picture showing cap banks little more detailed ?

if it's possible - make Al plate for 4 caps ground , little extended on end , and take GND point for amp pcbs exactly in middle of back , away of line which connects last two caps screws

that way take out point (central GND point) is moved from area with high pulsating currents

though , by test I wrote , I concluded that magnetical coupling is main problem , not ripple

Thanks ZM Ill post pictures this evening. I hear you and will conduct the test this evening. If the culprint is a magnetic field, screening the edcors in a box (faraday cage ) drained to the heatsinks should have had some notisable effect.
What about the rectifiers, their environment is quite dirty (EM vise) isnt it? The alupates for ground are on the agenda, need to get some plate. And you if I understand your description ground scould be furtest from the rectifyers on the smoothed side.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
only proper test for magnetic coupling is - moving away everything , observing (hearing, measuring) is there any difference

unfortunately , caging Edcors is weak remedy if problem is big enough from start

besides that - just a thought , didn't tested it by myself - those big caps are also pulsating devils , and foil in them is wound spirally ....

can you unbolt one heatsink in any easy way , and move it sideways , then compare two channels for hum ?

only proper test for magnetic coupling is - moving away everything , observing (hearing, measuring) is there any difference

unfortunately , caging Edcors is weak remedy if problem is big enough from start

besides that - just a thought , didn't tested it by myself - those big caps are also pulsating devils , and foil in them is wound spirally ....

can you unbolt one heatsink in any easy way , and move it sideways , then compare two channels for hum ?
If I lengthen the V+- and Gnd to pcb I can do that. Would it help putting some alufoil between caps and pcbs?

:)
The easiest way to check if proximity of the caps to the pcbs is a problem is to reconfig the supply as stereo ie with 1 donut, 2 bridges and the 4 middle caps. Then I also have space to play with shorting this and that :)
I will also clean up my mains in solution which is a kludge ( connections between swich, fuses and trafos) I used a very stiff wire in a small space.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
that's the same logic , as I was taught - easiest way to catch a Wabbit is - to put some salt on his tail

my father taught me that when I was 5 or 6 ....... never wanting to clarify ..... I was thinking who knows what kind of process is there

probably 10 years later I realized that's practical joke , not something unknown about Wabbit's relation with salt

:rofl:

Difference is, that when I say it and beleive it - its the truth - from my point of view :)
Logic ( truth) and personal belief (truth) dont necessary go hand in hand :)
Its our irrationality and unpredicability that makes us human and capable of art and invention. ( need a spellchecker).

Last edited: