• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Official GB for DSD DAC Signalyst DSCv2

Every now and then i stumble on projects that stir my interest. Then i have to scramble and try to read all about it in record time. I just hope this GB will not be closed too soon as i still need to get arount it - this project makes my pc obsolete ( mac mini core2 duo) involves costs for new software and will not help me reach my goal of multichannel for active filtering. But hats off still. when is it going to close? I need time to think and read about it...

For now, we don't have a plan to close GB. :)
We have about 40 PCB's for 2.5.2 and 20 for 2.6.2 and start production this week.
We will start to ship orders in a week. There is a small delay because some parts do not meet our quality standard. We decided to reorder them.

Please, for me add one v2.5.2 with transformers and RCA and XLR both not soldered.
Order List updated. Pls check.

Last edited:
Delivery options update:
1. Russian post (pochta.ru) - 10 USD. 15-35 days, trackable. We recommend it.
2. Express-courier delivery (cdek-express.com) - 30-40 USD. 8-10 days, trackable. Still under consideration.

First DSC 2.5.2 photo!
Under testing now.
You can see different options for assembling boards.

Couple of questions:

Which version of the DSC is displayed in the stacked (3rd) picture?

Also, does it come with the Amanero card or we need to procure Amanero separately?

If separately, will the one purchased from Amanero directly fit the stacked layout.?

What else do we need to purchase to get a completely working DAC (power transformer, etc)?

Couple of questions:

Which version of the DSC is displayed in the stacked (3rd) picture?

Also, does it come with the Amanero card or we need to procure Amanero separately?

If separately, will the one purchased from Amanero directly fit the stacked layout.?

What else do we need to purchase to get a completely working DAC (power transformer, etc)?

1. It's 2.5.2. There are several way for assembling.
2. No, it does not. Amanero needs to be bought separately. You can use any USB interface with standart Amanero pinout. If not, wire DSC manually. But remember, that XMOS produce loud pop at start.
3. You need power transformer (6 - 7 V is enough) and rectifier. Two channels should be powered separately. DSC v2 has LDO ADP7118 preinstalled. But you can disable it and use any other voltage regulator. 5V and min 150mA per channel is needed.

Thanks Vid' that's useful to know. Does the current drawn by DSC2 vary much, for example with different data rates?

At some point I would like to experiment with Salas Reflektor-D shunt regulated supplies, hence my question. I will measure myself when I get to that point.
Personally I did't measure current consumption. It was done by Pavel and his recommendation is 150-200mA per channel.
As I see in datasheet for 74AHCT595 (shift register used in DSC v2) the Absolute Maximum Ratings is 25mA. We have 8 of them per channel. That's why maximum current is 8x25mA = 200mA, I think.

I've tried Salas Reflector D with DSC v2.5. With R1 = 2Ohm (recommended load draw 50-100mA) - not work. Maybe I was wrong somewhere (connections for example). I have not try R1 = 1,2/1,5 Ohm (150-350mA).

If you will get a positive results give me a note pls. I have a couple Salas Reflector D (powering my Soekris dam1121) :)
But Salas Reflector is very hot (up to 60 C). I had to use active cooling for dam 1121. :)

Last edited:
Additional photo of DSC 2.5.2. You can see what connectors are needed for stacked configuration

Attachments

• IMG-1452.JPG
    IMG-1452.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG-1455.JPG
    IMG-1455.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMG-1467.JPG
    IMG-1467.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,050
Last edited:
1. It's 2.5.2. There are several way for assembling.
2. No, it does not. Amanero needs to be bought separately. You can use any USB interface with standart Amanero pinout. If not, wire DSC manually. But remember, that XMOS produce loud pop at start.
3. You need power transformer (6 - 7 V is enough) and rectifier. Two channels should be powered separately. DSC v2 has LDO ADP7118 preinstalled. But you can disable it and use any other voltage regulator. 5V and min 150mA per channel is needed.

I'm a goat in electronics, so just to summarize, all I need to power on the whole board is:

[with internal LDO] A transformer 240V to 7V AC with dual secondary and a diode rectifier bridge (Shottky) for each of the lanes

[without internal LDO] ?? . I read here [wiki=http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DSC1/index.html]%[/wiki] that a 3-way power supply is required in order to provide 3.3V, 5V and 7.5VDC but dunno if all voltages are required for the board (no ak4137)

Have a nice day. Massimiliano

I've tried Salas Reflector D with DSC v2.5. With R1 = 2Ohm (recommended load draw 50-100mA) - not work. Maybe I was wrong somewhere (connections for example). I have not try R1 = 1,2/1,5 Ohm (150-350mA).

If you will get a positive results give me a note pls. I have a couple Salas Reflector D (powering my Soekris dam1121) :)
But Salas Reflector is very hot (up to 60 C). I had to use active cooling for dam 1121. :)

Hi Vit'. I'm not surprised the Reflektor D didn't work with the 2ohm resistor. You need to set R1 for the load plus the shunt current (in our case let's assume 200mA load + 50mA = 250mA) Referring to the Reflektor-D manual suggests R1 needs to be 1.2ohms (maybe a little higher to reduce the shunt current = heat). All the information is in the Reflektor manual.

Maybe worth experimenting with R1 in your Soekris DAC too?

Of course, I'll report back in due course.

[with internal LDO] A transformer 240V to 7V AC with dual secondary and a diode rectifier bridge (Shottky) for each of the lanes
Yes (even 6V AC is enough, like in my case). Don't foget to add some capacitors to stabilise voltage. It may look like in the photo below.
[without internal LDO] ?? . I read here [wiki=http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DSC1/index.html]%[/wiki] that a 3-way power supply is required in order to provide 3.3V, 5V and 7.5VDC but dunno if all voltages are required for the board (no ak4137)

You need only 5V (two lines) to power DSC2.5.2 from good power supply.

No need in 3.3V, Amanero board supply it to DSC 2.5.2.

No need in 7.5V. It's for AK4137 I think.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    796.7 KB · Views: 913
Hi Vit'. I'm not surprised the Reflektor D didn't work with the 2ohm resistor. You need to set R1 for the load plus the shunt current (in our case let's assume 200mA load + 50mA = 250mA) Referring to the Reflektor-D manual suggests R1 needs to be 1.2ohms (maybe a little higher to reduce the shunt current = heat). All the information is in the Reflektor manual.

Maybe worth experimenting with R1 in your Soekris DAC too?

Of course, I'll report back in due course.

Yes, thx. I use Salas Reflector for 50mA max in dam1121. That's why I choose R1 = 2 Ohm. Agree, that for DSC 2.5.2 R1=1,2Ohms looks like a sweet pot.

In case of DSC 2.5, after Salas I decided to try LT3045 LDO (I have some) instead of stock TPS7A4700 to check the effect of power supply on DSC (main reason of my experiments). Then I did not see any difference.

If using Salas Reflector will result in increase in sound quality, I tried it immediately :)

Vit... could you describe in a few words the sound difference between 1121 and DSCv2 please?
//

After leaving it for too long because I've been enjoying my DSC2 V2.6.0, this morning I finally spent some time diagnosing and fixing the issue with my DAM1121 build (turned out to be a grounding mistake) and it is now making music. I'll be able to compare the DAM and DSC2 later in the week.

Hi Vit'. Thinking about the multiple options for configuring/stacking the boards, especially the V2.5.2, I'm thinking it would give builders most flexibility if all of the header pins/sockets are provided unsoldered?
It's a very good idea and we decided to do so. :)
By default, we will include all connectors for default and stacked configuration, and leave them unsoldered.
If someone wants fully soldered boards, we do it.

Finally User Guide for 2.5.2 is ready. :) Link

Last edited:
Vit... could you describe in a few words the sound difference between 1121 and DSCv2 please?

//

DSCv2 is much more detailed with excellent localization and analog-like sound.

IMHO dsc1121 gives a more "body" in sound with less details (I use direct output from R2R without additional output stage).

Both are very good with slightly different interpretations of music. I can't choose one, but spend more time with DSC. :)