Of Remasters and Classic Rock...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree with BOTH of you.

While a great performance can be enjoyed on any system, it is very disappointing to build a great sounding system only to find some of your favorites sound like crap.

It makes you wonder what the engineer had in mind. I am spinning "Who are you" (the original LP) right now also, and I must say it sounds very thin. If it weren't for the outstanding cymbal work, I wouldn't even listen to it.

It just seems to me that a good recording played on a good system should make you feel as if you are there. There meaning like 20 feet from a small jazz combo to, up in the balcony for a rock concert. It is certainly done on many recordings.

Many of us build good systems to enjoy that aspect. To listen to a recording that merely is a remembrance of the original sound can be disappointing.

I think it's perfectly normal and good to critique a recording. But I don't go to the trouble to remix the poor sounding ones. I just don't listen to them as much.

Head_spaz, since Diamonds and Rust is something I like a lot and use to test system changes, I bit the bullet and downloaded your file in spite of my dial up connection. It sounds about the same as mine, with maybe slightly more midrange. JB's voice is a bit fuller than I'm used to, but that's easily the difference in cartridges or processing preferences, or even the mat under the record- I'm talking very subtle differences here. I never would have suspected mats make much difference, but that's what I'm fooling with right now. This is also one of too few albums that sound good on the CD as well.

head_spaz, davidlzimmer, Brett, Conrad Hoffman, et al :

I for one would like to discover / hear a 24bit version of the Joan Baez piece for comparison's sake with the vinyl and head_spaz' 16bit download (above).

I just got a new TT setup = newest Rega P3 w/ cartridge, Bottlehead tube phono pre-amp ... plus an M-Audio FireWire, 24bit/96k, ADC / DAC. ... but my old JB vinyl may not be up to the task. (I swear the old cassette tape I have of Diamonds & Rust is almost as good, but it has been years, so memory may be failing here.)

I will endeavor to build a 24bit version myself, but I would still appreciate a "bench mark" to compare the results ... and a source for a high quality vinyl record if anyone knows of one. :smash:

(Found it: http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EUROU3233 ... :cool: )

The Who's LP recording quality was always a bit 'unflattering' shall we say, wrong engineers and equipment I guess EXCEPT for one glorious exception:- Live at Leeds. This album rocks on CD, the first issue around 1995, the 25th anniversary edition with 14 tracks. Easily beats my purchased on day of release 1970 perfect condition vinyl played on a Sondek/Ittok + Audio Technica AT5 moving coil. The drums whack you in the chest, lead guitar sings with such purity of tone, I can hear every JE bass note twanging away, there's 3D space, your THERE.

FastEddy said:
I believe my next purchase will be the Pulse DVD = Pink's last concert plus the dark side concert ... apparently it has decent sound and a good video presentation ... (Anyone know?)

Not only decent & good - even great!
BTW: In the year 1994 I took part on PF last tour. It was terrific.
PULSE DVD (as a sort of documentary of the tour - London concert) is not only on the same level (at least to my opinion) but also technically one of the best music DVD's (as I've heard from the others).
Regards,

ma-coule: " ... PULSE DVD (as a sort of documentary of the tour - London concert) is not only on the same level (at least to my opinion) but also technically one of the best music DVD's ..."

Just Got It!! ... and have played it several times: Right on! = some of the cuts are as good as it gets from a live concert on any DVD. The video / art director did a fine job and the sound comes across better than any Floyd CD renditions (IMOP), being 24bit/48K rather than the less dynamic 16bit CD stuff.

Agreed and Recommended = one of the better music DVDs, certainly one of the best Pink Floyd concert performances ;)

PULSE Trivia: The "blond" girl in the middle is Sam Brown. To really appreciate her talent, see the full "Concert for George" DVD in which she pops one to the top doing a very interesting version of a Harrison tune ... apparently a little too radical/riske' for the "theatrical release" or for the CD (The 24bit/48k / good stuff with all the tunes: http://www.amazon.com/Concert-George-Andy-Fairweather-Low/dp/B0000CEB4V/ ... BTW: another very good concert DVD)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.