OEM Loudspeaker Manufactures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"virtually any Qts, Vas, Fs and XMax combination is already available on the open market. "

Not really, and at what price?
Same experience here.
Won't speak about high end audio, but in the Guitar World, if you want the (still highly regarded and sought after) 60 y.o. speaker technology of Alnico magnets and light paper cones and voice coils, for a very specific sound, you have to pay a lot for the "reissued" Celestion "Vox Blue".
Still the king.
Of course, others tried to jump on the bandwagon.

Respected Guitar Player Magazine made a live Test called "Guitar Player Live speaker shootout" including 15 models.

Hey, wait a minute !!! didn't you say they were rare and hard to find speakers? :confused:
How did they come out with 15 models to compare?

Let's see:

1) we have the original one. The Celestion Blue itself. British sound.

2) we have "the other" original one, the Jensen P12N. American sound.

3 to 7) Ted Weber offers 5 versions, with distinct flavors.
He had to make them "in house", they are handmade in very small quantities or built on demand. Good.

8) The Eminence version. ;)
Why am I not surprised?
They could and did make it, for a good competitive price and as many as you want, quick.

9 to 13) Magic Parts SP12ALN. / MojoTone MP12R. / MojoTone MP12 RHD. / New Sensor 12ALP. / New Sensor 12ALK.

Guess what? *All* of them OEM made by .... Eminence :eek: :shhh: :joker:

So much so that Guitar Player had to write a special paragraph:

EMINENCE FRONT

Alnico speakers from Mojo, Magic Parts, and New Sensor are built by Eminence to each company's specifications. All of these speakers look identical (except for Eminence's own Legend 122, which sports a large fabric dust cap), and are available with either paper or kapton voice-coils. For many tone enthusiasts, paper is the way to go because it was used in vintage alnico speakers. Kapton-voice-coil speakers offer greater power handling capability (typically an additional 10 watts) and more clean headroom. All of the Eminence-made speakers we tested sounded very similar -- the sonic subtleties between them could easily be chalked up to tolerance differences at the manufacturing end. --DF

So maybe Eminence has something going for them .

Would I call it experience/good manufacturing/good Business practices?
I guess so :shhh:

If you want to read the original article:
Guitar Player Speaker Shootout

Eminence builds only what you specify.

The build OEM drivers with double and triple spiders if you specify them.

If you don't like what you get, change the specification.

Can you get an edgewound VC from them or not? That and the venting in the motors seem to be the biggest advantages that the big boys (B&C, RCF, 18sound, etc) have over Eminence's standard (and less expensive) lines.

Can you get an edgewound VC from them or not? That and the venting in the motors seem to be the biggest advantages that the big boys (B&C, RCF, 18sound, etc) have over Eminence's standard (and less expensive) lines.
As of edgewound voice coils, even I, a small scale speaker maker can (and do) offer them. ;)
No big deal.

As of Eminence, they offer tons of speakers with them , as in:
The 225 watt EPS-12C is a 12”, 4 ohm, cast-aluminum frame guitar driver featuring an edge-wound aluminum wire voice coil and lightweight neodymium magnet.
and in the Factory description, they include:
4 – Voice Coil Department

Eminence has developed the finest voice coils in the industry. We currently produce 1 layer “edgewound”, 2 layer, 4 layer, and dual 2 layer coils. Winding lengths vary from .210” (5.3mm) to 1.25” (31.75mm). Standard impedances range from less than 1 ohm all the way to 32 ohms.

Vented structures?
Possible from an engineering point of view, but not practical tooling up in very small orders, such as 100 units.
Anyway I *think* the OP is not exactly asking for them.:rolleyes:

Really don't understand how in a discussion about making "old style" speakers, some posters needlessly object based only in "Hi Tech" or "snobbish" or "cutting edge" features ... which were never asked for by the OP.:confused:

In Argentina we call that "mear fuera del tarro", loosely translated as "trying to pee into a pot ... and missing ... :D".
I'm sure there must exist some native English phrase meaning about the same :p

Eminence does do edgewound coils in-house. Those are used in a number of their "HO" versions of woofers.

I saw their voice coil winding operation when I visited the factory about 8-9 years ago. As I recall, it was pretty impressive to see how they were taking bare wire and coating it and running it through some long rectangular ovens and then doing a semi-wet wind with it.

They don't do a lot of different former / collar materials or multi-layer flat wire, but you can do a "user supplied part" for a very small surcharge. When I was there, they were building some Community woofer in the test lab using some coils from Precision Econowind (on an aluminum former) and were also installing a forced air pole piece cap for cooling purposes (that Community also has as a supplied part).

That being said, for your application it sounds like kapton (or possibly glass fiber) would be the way to go anyway.

Such voice coils are easy to get and use.
FWIW here's my Guitar speaker FAHEY G12EWA100 (side by side with a famous example)
729947235_5a0a641a7e_z.jpg

With a very interesting "EV meets Celestion" sound.
Has a little of everything:
1 1/2" voice coil (classic Jensen diameter), 130 mm magnet (same thing), rectilinear 11 rib cone cone halfway between British (8 ribs) and American (up to 22 ribs).
The VC is Edge Wound Aluminum on Fiberglass, light and strong.
Not a kilowatt PA driver by any means, so no fancy magnet venting, but I always use vented polepieces (it's just an extra drill operation at the lathe, which takes 30 seconds).
In a nutshell, making standard speakers is not rocket science, although like anything else, if you want to complicate it, the Sky is the limit ;) .

Really don't understand how in a discussion about making "old style" speakers, some posters needlessly object based only in "Hi Tech" or "snobbish" or "cutting edge" features ... which were never asked for by the OP.:confused:

In Argentina we call that "mear fuera del tarro", loosely translated as "trying to pee into a pot ... and missing ... :D".
I'm sure there must exist some native English phrase meaning about the same :p

Don’t worry about it mate. It just shows how many have not pursued OEM loudspeaker design and is easily influenced by marketing hype from a sales rep pushing a shiny new product.

Some of the responses are similar to those who would not build an amplifier for there are many amplifiers available, offering various types of wattages, in which you can purchase on the market.

Possibly some of the respondants don't realise that this is Diyaudio.com and, the only limiting factor building anything, is yourself.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.