• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Octal socket current rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure if this should be in power supplies, but I put it here since it's really about tube sockets. Please move if I'm in the wrong sub forum.

I am planning on having a separate power supply for my 3E29 tube amp, with an umbilical cord using an octal plug/socket. How much current can one safely pass through the octal socket/plug combo? I am particularly thinking of the 6.3V heater supply that would need to run 9A.

Any other suggestions (better socket/plug combos) would be welcome. I will be needing all 8 pins for the various supplies

Thanks

Richard

I wouldn't try to suck more than 4 or 5 amps through an octal socket. I melted a couple of NOS sockets years ago.

The old standby for big tube amp power supplies was the Cinch Jones plugs and sockets. Each pin is rated for 15 amps at 250 V RMS. I used a 15 pin version for the umbilical cord in my 845 SE amp where the B+ is 1100 volts DC. I put that voltage on a corner pin and left the adjacent pins unused. I used the amp for several years in the Florida humidity without issue, but it hasn't seen power in years.

These things were common, but are getting harder to find. Digikey has some of the smaller sizes in stock, and Mouser still has quite a few. I found mine surplus, and they still show up in surplus catalogs.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/643/ds-CCS-IND-jones-plugs-2400-series-1359514.pdf

Attachments

• DSCN6875.jpg
    DSCN6875.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Amp_a.jpg
    Amp_a.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 163
  • PowerSupply_a.jpg
    PowerSupply_a.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 166
  • BothChassis_a.jpg
    BothChassis_a.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 160
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.