Oblate Spheroid Waveguide - Consolidated Construction Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Outside of the manufacturing speculation and hypothetical dayton price tag I can not see anything I posted that isnt a fact.

The two facts I know....

1. There are zero approved patens from Geddes wrt OS waveguides.
2. OS Waveguides are being sold already for around $60 each, I already posted the link to that buy too.

Just to clear up the point, the OS waveguide is not patented. That said, there are "trade secrets" involved. Many people feel that trade secrets are more valuable than patents. I can see both sides. The obvious should be patented for protection, but the not-so-obvious is already protected, so why bring peoples attention to it with a patent?

Will a cheap knock-off done by some parts supply house equal my designs? I'm not worried.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just to clear up the point, the OS waveguide is not patented. That said, there are "trade secrets" involved. Many people feel that trade secrets are more valuable than patents. I can see both sides. The obvious should be patented for protection, but the not-so-obvious is already protected, so why bring peoples attention to it with a patent?

Will a cheap knock-off done by some parts supply house equal my designs? I'm not worried.

Well, I guess that I am confused. I assumed the OS waveguide fell under your 2005 patent.

I think some of the econo-waveguide deluxe designs sound incredible, add to that they are 1/7th your abbey kit price.

I guess we can just say enjoy your perfection we will be building something cheaper.

To get the most out of the OS design, don't we need a throat that matches the driver being used and if it doesn't we are throwing away some of the advantages?

So, if we were to spec out an OS waveguide for PE to build, I assume we'll need to select the driver we all want to use, no? I can't imagine there is a possibility of that going well.

Only those seeking ultimate perfection are going to care and they are most likely spending more dollars to start with.

We are already matching many CDs to the QSC HPR-152i horn (I have 4 different CDs with mine) a standard throat angle is just fine IMO, most CDs will be a minimum degree off. Remember the idea here is value and there are always compromises with limiting the $$$.

If perfectly matched throat angles are desired then more $$$ need to be spent. A Custom order OSWG can probably be done in that group buy thread.

Does someone have the mouth angle of the CDs? I remember seeing a post recently with popular choices but my search is coming up empty.

Thanks
Doug

Great idea for a thread (I've only just arrived but haven't had a chance to read it all).

I have been reading the Geddes on Waveguides thread and putting together my own consolidated version, but that thread is over 500 pages! The first 120 or so pages condense down to about 20 pages of meaty info in a word document. Just wondering if others are interested in a collaborative effort.

Is there interest in a consolidated Oblate spheroid design thread? Emphasis on design and theory rather than construction. The idea is that those seriously interested skim through the mega thread and pull out the meaty bits.

Great idea for a thread (I've only just arrived but haven't had a chance to read it all).

I have been reading the Geddes on Waveguides thread and putting together my own consolidated version, but that thread is over 500 pages! The first 120 or so pages condense down to about 20 pages of meaty info in a word document. Just wondering if others are interested in a collaborative effort.

Is there interest in a consolidated Oblate spheroid design thread? Emphasis on design and theory rather than construction. The idea is that those seriously interested skim through the mega thread and pull out the meaty bits.

I also did something like this a while ago when I bought a pair of geddes 12" waveguides and was building the speakers attached in this picture. I have attached the document as a zip file. I copied information from severall threads, and made sort of a FAQ-document. I hope the original posters do not have a problem with this document. I tried to add their name as much as possible, but sometimes I forgot.

Have fun reading (it is still 34 pages long).

Attachments

• DIYSummaDoc.zip
    208.8 KB · Views: 316
  • Myspeakers.jpg
    Myspeakers.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 852
Most woodworking lathes have an outboard turning option that will allow you you to turn larger pieces.Unfortunately,lathes that are heavy enough to do the job are quite expensive.I was fortunate to run across a deal on a big lathe at a very reasonable price about 20 yrs ago.It will turn 26" dia over the bed,and the limiting factor for the outboard capacity is the floor and ceiling.

I would recommend building your own.You can get a headstock on ebay,and bolt it down on a sturdy bench.A 9" or 10" metal working lathe headstock with a 1 1/2"-8 spindle would work very well,and appear on ebay frequently.Faceplates are available from places like Enco,or ebay.

Brands like South Bend,Atlas,or Logan,are good choices.

Here's a link to a homebuilt lathe if you are a bit more ambitious.

Homemade Lathe on a Budget - Fine Woodworking Article

I took my $300 Sears lathe and built another stock head stand for it with a pulley reduction system. A couple pillow bearings, a metal face plate shaft, two pulleys and a belt is all that is needed. I can turn stuff as slow as 135 RPM. I’ve turned some big stuff on it. The largest being a 115Hz tractrix horn which had a 37” diameter mouth. I turned it in two sections, each weighing about 95 lbs a piece. A big lathe setup does not need to be expensive – you just need to be creative.

l_5c04fe1d6dae139dae4e25d90f690a3d.jpg

l_3c1e24cf0d7e67ce867026351b452371.jpg

l_e7b5c9aa6cbf470af2e5f6e11c50eefe.jpg

l_4d0cddf24f7b2cff31018bc92cbacce7.jpg

Wim, that's quite an effort! Thanks for sharing. Is that all taken from "Geddes on waveguides?"

Data was taken from severall threads:

Geddes on Waveguides
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns
Horn vs. Waveguide (I think, not sure anymore)

It was made about a half year ago. I have followed these threads since, but did not update the document anymore (to busy building the speakers).

One of my friends on Facebook clued me in to a *very* neat device that could be used for making waveguide molds. I was kinda blown away when she posted it - it's actually intended for scrap bookers but it's almost a miniature CNC machine. It's very cool and it's less than two hundred bucks. I posted some info on how one could use it to make a waveguide mold.

The advantage of waveguides made with this method is improved on-axis response, and an easier crossover from woofer to tweeter.

Audio Psychosis • View topic - How to Make a Waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.