OB speakers and room acoustics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
For a "lifelike" representation of sitting 20 meters out into a concert hall, you need to image yourself that you have that distance, which you really can't physically have at home. But our eyes trick us. If you close your eyes, can you really tell how far away a sound source is? You can't. But the amount of reverb, hi-frequency attenuation and other clues will make us guess. And that's some of the point. A very closely located speaker system can actually fool us into believing that we are 20 meters away from an orchestra in a large concert hall.

Personally I don't relate to recorded music as a representation of reality, because its not. I think of it more like watching a movie. You have the action there on the screen as a "window" you look into, you are not really "there" as it happens.

pieskapov's system gives tremendous space too. The speakers are 2,5m from the listerner and 2m apart. With a good recording of classical (orchestra or ensamble) you can "see" them at 5-15m distance and 10m wide. Totally depends on recording. A very nice "picture"!

With eg. Pink Floyd recordings you can hear all sorts of xyz-perspective effects like someone whispering at 90¤ to the side etc. We can't tell if these effects come out as defined, but it is very impressive. If you move out of spot you loose these but retain the overall good sound quality. If the spot is wider, I guess these effects are thinner? Less listening distance might improve imaging of a wider dispersion speaker?

My goal for Ainos was to get moderate directivity with best possible control because I can hardly ever listen at the sweet spot... I have not yet heard them as stereo, so I can't tell what the outcome is. From auditioning just one speaker I am a little afraid that I got too much horizontal directivity... On the other hand my living room is more lively than my HT room (RT 0,3 - 0,4), it might help to retain bright power response in the room.

pieskapov's system gives tremendous space too. The speakers are 2,5m from the listerner and 2m apart. With a good recording of classical (orchestra or ensamble) you can "see" them at 5-15m distance and 10m wide. Totally depends on recording. A very nice "picture"!

With eg. Pink Floyd recordings you can hear all sorts of xyz-perspective effects like someone whispering at 90¤ to the side etc. We can't tell if these effects come out as defined, but it is very impressive. If you move out of spot you loose these but retain the overall good sound quality. If the spot is wider, I guess these effects are thinner? Less listening distance might improve imaging of a wider dispersion speaker?

My goal for Ainos was to get moderate directivity with best possible control because I can hardly ever listen at the sweet spot... I have not yet heard them as stereo, so I can't tell what the outcome is. From auditioning just one speaker I am a little afraid that I got too much horizontal directivity... On the other hand my living room is more lively than my HT room (RT 0,3 - 0,4), it might help to retain bright power response in the room.

Wow, I would not expect that from such a narrow positioning of the speakers. I have mine a bit further apart and I always thought it is because of the distance between L/R speakers. I sit about 9 ft away from speakers. I do notice if I shorten it up the soundstage improves. I have to play with it.

A friend and a member here pieskapov has a very well damped room with highly directive dipoles. Imaging is super but you can't move your head even 10cm or you loose it! That's why I dont like it, it is too much for me!

Here is an article of his system A high-end story from Vantaa

only 10cm?! That extremely tight listening window. I will have to see if my window is just as narrow. Since I am doing other measurements on my system right now, the room measurements will be done possibly next week. I'll start with ETC and go from there, with guidance of course :D Ha ha Thanks all. Now, to go buy me some books on the subject

SigErik showed his listenig position's ETC. Here is the same of AINOproto in my small HT-room with RT 0,2 (100Hz up)

I don't have much reference for these, it is nice to learn more

Attachments

• ainoproto v9  etc 1,8m.png
    ainoproto v9 etc 1,8m.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
And for a reference, a coaxial 2-way closed box speaker at same position and distance as AINOproto

Notice the difference to the dipole speaker! Does this refer to "precision an good transients" that dipoles are said to have?

Attachments

• juhazi aw-7 etc 1,8m.png
    juhazi aw-7 etc 1,8m.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Jeez, it is really difficult to draw conclusions of this. What is the speaker and what is the room?

Normalized overlay of AINOproto and AW-7 0.3ms smoothing to emphasize differencies

p.s. the differense in level before 0ms comes from difference of volume (spl) used in the measurement. Measurements were not taken after another, but otherwise in same speaker position and mic position.

Attachments

• ainoprot vs aw-7 etc normal.png
    ainoprot vs aw-7 etc normal.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Juhazi,

Graphs are easier to compare if both use the same scale. The interesting data in an ETC is the first 10ms over about 30dB and the overall slope within the first 500-1000ms. The latter should be examined in frequency bands in order to get a feeling if the absorptive behavior of the room is broadband.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.