OB project - X-over question

I'm thinking of an open baffle project using Eminence Alpha 15A and the full range Coral Flat8ii.
For a x-over I'd like to use a series x-over (without going in to the details on why . . . ).
The Coral units are vintage,-no longer in production and there's not much info on them out there, but I have a few of them and they sound very good.
A couple of other people out there who also owns them are of the opinion that putting anything in between these drivers and the amp is a sure way to
ruin their mid range magic.
So,-this would mean that the inductor in a two way series x-over will have to be gotten rid of like in the image below.
Since the two drivers are each 8 ohms and connected in series,-would this mean that the amp sees 16 ohms?
Nope,-at least not above the x-over frequency for the woofer, since the signal will be having a path to ground through the capacitor and thus taking the woofer's
impedance out of the equation.
If the inductor for the FR-unit was still there, it would shunt the unit below the x-over frequency, so the amp would never see 16 ohms even if the two units are in series.
This is as far I've been thinking it through, and my question is, would the absence of an inductor pose a problem for the impedance
seen by the amp?

series x-over - C only.jpg

Joined 2011
If you do feel that "putting anything in between these drivers and the amp is a sure way to ruin their mid range magic"
then you want a parallel crossover. Otherwise, either the capacitor or the woofer is in series with the FR in part of the range.

Obviously the series input impedance won't be less than the FR impedance, so there would be no amplifier distress.

I've done a series XO for my OB after looking up a speaker called Leonidas.

Plenty of "pure audiophiles" out there that are very vocal. Doesn't mean that they are right.
I've never come across a FR driver that didn't a notch somewhere to make it sound great.

Reactions: 1 user
Another “minimalist” option is to run the drivers in parallel with just a single inductor in series with the bass driver. In this case, the woofer supplements the bass of the “raw” fullrange driver.

(+)—Fullrange—-(-)

(+)—L—Woofer—-(-)

I’ve had some good luck with this approach, but usually need to attenuate the fullrange driver with an lpad.