OB efficiency with 2 or 4 woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: OB efficiency with 2 or 4 woofers

Magnetar said:

I would wire them in parallel, there will be a significant gain in sensitivity

The excursion will go way down

The distortion will go way down

They may become more directional depending where you place them and how you use

Nope.

When using the 4 woofers there is no change between
series-parallel and parallel in power efficiency.
Only in voltage sensitivity there is.

The poor guy has to drive 2 Ohms when paralleled ...

Cheers

Re: Re: Re: OB efficiency with 2 or 4 woofers

LineArray said:

Nope.

When using the 4 woofers there is no change between
series-parallel and parallel in power efficiency.
Only in voltage sensitivity there is.

The poor guy has to drive 2 Ohms when paralleled ...

Cheers

LOL - What? I said sensitivity

If he uses them below 100 cycles like he says the average impedance will be much higher. Any good bass amp should have no problem

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I believe Hypex will have problems with 2ohm, but the big RECKHORM should do 2ohm all right, at least they claim 400watt with that load
But a good DIY amp will do 2ohm, I will soon have all parts fore the LYNX amp
My DIY 50watt will also do 2ohm and even not getting hot

I plan to do TWO subs of each 4 x 15", placed prelimenary at the sides of my room
In a couple of years I will have a dedicated room under the roof, and then all 8 woofers will be placed between the main speakers

Mains will be a pair of OBs with all DIY 6" and ribbons, time will show if a 15" midwoofer will be needed or if the 6" will do ... I have no clew about sensitivity, but anything above 90db will be fine ... I have most parts, the project started more than 5 years ago

Further I plan to build a 2way with the 98db AE td15m and CD/waveguide ... I simply have to own such a thing :)

tinitus said:
I believe Hypex will have problems with 2ohm, but the big RECKHORM should do 2ohm all right, at least they claim 400watt with that load
But a good DIY amp will do 2ohm, I will soon have all parts fore the LYNX amp
My DIY 50watt will also do 2ohm and even not getting hot

If you plot the impedance with the four in parallel below 100 cycles I think you'll find it's not too much of a bad thing.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ok, thanks, I didnt think of that, I would prefer all drivers in paralel ... allthough I have always learned that its the DC-resistance that matters
An old friend want to buy my present speakers, so it may take a while before can order drivers, at this moment AE is looking into shipping cost ... I will also have to pay custom and taxes, good thing those drivers are cheap

Thanks my friends, I am a bit wiser now :)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Just got a mail from David Haskins at DIY Cable regarding the mentioned new 18" Maelstrom-X ... btw I think a mms above 400gram is over the top ... IB15 reach the same Fs with half the mms

Shipping would be 200USD each :cannotbe: further will come tax and customs

all the same as I still want the OB with multiple IB15 ... still waiting fore an answer from John at AE regarding shipping ... he has answered previous mail ... it seems a bit of patience is needed

Well, I am in no hurry until I have the money fore my present speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.