O-scope Question - need one

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The newest scopes all seem to be digital, which may be good, I don't really know. It depends on the quality of the software engineer behind it. Perhaps one of the more important things is to have a very good service shop check the calibration and functions, so you know you can trust what it tells you. Get two probes so you can set one channel to Invert, add the two, and do "floating" differential measurements. This is nice when you don't want to have either connection be ground.

In my case I am making money by using newest scopes. :)
And by having reliable waveform representations, plus eight visible measurements of important electrical parameters under the waveforms window, this is all that I would ever need.

EINHELL BT-BC 10E 12V Battery Charger Repair / Oscilloscope measurements

I went to the surplus store, they have a few 2265 and the alike selling between $350 to $450!!!! That's my dream scope!!! I remember it was so expensive in the mid to late 80s. 350MHz!!!

Not that anyone that only want digital scope cares, but that's the industry standard scope after 465, 475 and 485. It's nice to have people that have the need to follow the trend, that leave good bargain for those (me) that want the performance and take the laugh along with it.

I record all the tv programs and watch them later. I am like one and half years behind on the tv shows. I cannot afford to use DVR or TiVo because if one fail, I can loss hundreds of hours of programs. I don't care about HD, so I just have a bunch of DVD recorders to tape the programs. Just because DVR and TiVo stuff is around, people getting rid of all the DVD recorder. I got like 10 of the Toshiba D-R410 and most are averaged under $30 each. I bought in a lot, 3 of them did not work, I got the refund, then I opened them up, mixed and matched the components and got two good one out of the three!!! Those two have been in used for over a year and work perfectly. I am good for a long time as this is one of the most reliable recorder I found after using a few for close to 4 years.

Last edited:
Thank you SY. Kirikos has been promoting his product in every thread,
which leads me to think that he is just using DIY Audio for profit and
not providing useful knowledge to the community here.

If he wants to sell his wares, he should pay for the professional
area like other vendors do or his sales posts should be deleted
and as you mentioned his posting privileges revoked.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
FWIW -- my all time favorite bench scope is the TEK485A. However, the crt's are pretty used by now and non-replaceable for all practical purposes. The best bench scope next is the 7000 series by TEK.....with its meriade of plug-ins for specialized measurements. I have a small compact, portable TEK TDS-3032 which you would think make a nice general purpose scope.... but the ergonomics killed it for me and I rarely use it (have FFT and all other optional modules). Everyday, general purpose scope is an HP 54522A. Easy, fast and doesnt take up too much bench space.
If I wasnt vested in the 7000 series and plug-ins, I would go for the TEK 11000 series... now that they are affordable. Either is very good for R&D type work. Probably opt now for the 11000 series to get the longer life left in the CRT.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
RNMarsh,

You can use 7K vertical amplifier plugins (7Axx) on the 11301/2, there is a small plastic "post" that needs to be cut of the rear plastic connector, and then you can just plug them in, you have to manually select them via the "Waveform button".

I use the 7A22 Diff amplifier on my 11302A :) you can see it plugged into the left hand bay of my 11302A in this pic:)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Lab Bench.JPG

Avoid the TEK11000 series digital scopes, they are useless by today's standards with just 40MSPS sampling (Apart from the 11802x if you want a very good TDR).

If you can get a TEK11302 or 11302A then you will be AMAZED at these scopes :) Note, they are touch screen operated which caught me out the first time I used one.

sys Warning

On the bright and polite side, Sy has been very professional about it,
and finally couldn't let him do what ever he wants.....

Part of that Professionalism was the following:
yH5BAEAAA8ALAAAAAATABQAAASA8EkJqrUzvzq6F2ClAd7AVWA4kV24AAmQBgGwpdeyxBZdywIAoUC0EI4mmq1CuDhPNgqwNPuNplXrSPG0HKIrhIILGJMPBwN4IyabK2h1BtA2jxGI+Jpev+P1c3h8eH8ABnKBCIN5AGlrFGhfF2mII5GRh5UaG4aZao+bnBibEQAAOw==
Final warning to Kiriakos:

Which is a vary nice lo key way to let someome know.

Thank's Sy, You've got class.

FWIW -- my all time favorite bench scope is the TEK485A. However, the crt's are pretty used by now and non-replaceable for all practical purposes. The best bench scope next is the 7000 series by TEK.....with its meriade of plug-ins for specialized measurements. I have a small compact, portable TEK TDS-3032 which you would think make a nice general purpose scope.... but the ergonomics killed it for me and I rarely use it (have FFT and all other optional modules). Everyday, general purpose scope is an HP 54522A. Easy, fast and doesnt take up too much bench space.
If I wasnt vested in the 7000 series and plug-ins, I would go for the TEK 11000 series... now that they are affordable. Either is very good for R&D type work. Probably opt now for the 11000 series to get the longer life left in the CRT.

THx-RNMarsh

Worked on virtually every scope series Tek and HP/Agilent made before late nineties. My all time favorite remains the Tek 2465B. Followed by Tek 7900 series. I still possess a virgin 7844 CRT -400MHz dual beam- that I'd rather keep as a work of art than part with for the few pitiful offers I've had to part with it. No question the epitome of analog scope engineering.
Only old classics I'd advise to avoid would be the Tek 5000 series. Best bargain for analog is probably the Tek 2445.
Doc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.