nVidia ION, Asus Xonar as active XO, DAC and source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious, why fully automatic? Do you not think user input is essential?

Anyway, here is a program that will do xovers and room correction too:

(((acourate)))® - Room Correction, Speaker Optimization and Sound Improvement

Have a read even if you do not intend to get the program.

Does anyone know if you can setup active crossovers completely automatically with a pc (spdiff input) and a mic, kinda like the way the behringher DEQ8000 auto calibrates the eq speakers to give a flat response?

Would be really nice to plug in speakers and have software optimise everything for the best, most accurate sound.

My quest was to find a stand alone solution for multi way active.

Just stumbled upon these Hypex plate amps. The cheapest Hypex AS2.100 sounds really good. At 300Euros not that cheap but a very neat solution:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Mac Mini Spidf out - 2x Hypex plate amps in the back of the two ways

I am far to into Apple Mac's to trully embrace a HTPC made of a slow cheap nettop and then an assortment of boxes, and amplifiers.

My Main system, 5 piece seperates (dvd, tuner, pre, power, Active XO 2496). Can remain my main system, and the Mac - Hypex be the main HTPC, front room or office system.

https://www.hypexshop.com/

With a planned £200 spend on the ION, + Gainclones that would come in at least £100+ each. £500 +/- for integrated input/remote controlled pre-amp/DAC/Active XO and power amp, seems promising. Mac Mini not included.

Thoughts?

I think the above plate amps (non DSP version perhaps) teamed with a ASIO firewire Maudio interface and logic or similar is the way to go. logic express can be had errmmm.... cheap and plenty of audio units (mac VST) for your EQ duties. or the above with digi input, but using 2 x maudio used or cheaper USB interface with spdif combined into 1 combined device in audio preferences, then you can use the software mixer for the Maudio cards to bounce the tracks to different channels and apply EQ in logic or some other audio unit that is loaded all the time so everything goes through this process.

Last edited:
Been looking and looking, and still not found out if nVidia Ion Mini ITX system has enough power (using CUDA) to implement FIR crossover with phase correction? Is it powerful enough to do stereo 2-way? How about stereo 3-way, or 2.5-way (2-way + sub).

The IONs are scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as CUDA power goes. I'll have to refresh my memory on the numbers, but I thought I looked at it based on Koons original work and figured that it could probably handle a 3-way. I'd be very surprised if it had any difficulty with a 2-way, but I say that without having tried it.

I did run a BruteFIR setup on my Aspire One (the original one) and it seems to handle a 3-way config with (I think) 32k filters just fine, but with higher latency than you'll likely get from the CUDA approach.

I'm moving slowly as always, but I'm working on a multi-amp approach using a Revo (ION based) outputting over HDMI (only 2.5 way since my receiver only does 5.1 LPCM over HDMI, unfortunately). I'm tentatively planning to use Reaper to do IIR xovers as a starting point, but ultimately migrating to BruteFIR is in the plans. From my experiments so far, I think this is probably the best bang-for-buck approach to active speakers and has the benefit of solving both the volume control problem as well as the rats-nest of wiring.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.